Lock/Unlock Cells Based on User Type

jzeusj

I've been wrestling with the best way to do this for awhile. Requirements:

1) I have a single spreadsheet with existing data (one row per person) that needs to be updated regularly.
2) There are 4 different types of users: Group A, Group B, Group C, and Admin.
3) Column C in each row identifies if it is data for a Group A person, Group B, or Group C.
4) Group A people should only be able to update Group A data, Group B only Group B data, etc.
5) Only the Admin should be able to add/delete rows (i.e. add or delete people from groups).
6) Admin should be able to update any row.

I looked into using "Allow users to edit ranges", but the problem is the data is pretty dynamic (rows are added/deleted regularly), so it seemed I would be constantly redefining the ranges.
I also looked into "Protect Sheet" for the admin piece. The problem is even though I only select "Insert rows" and "Delete rows" from the "Protect Sheet" menu, it seems to lock down every cell where I can't input data.

A possible (although clunky IMO) solution would be to test for the contents of Column C for the respective row every time somebody tries to change a cell. Then, based on that, prompt for a password. For example, I'm trying to enter data on a Group A row. I would be prompted for a password, and would need to enter "Group A password" into the dialog box for that cell to be unlocked. I would think a more elegant solution would be to ask for a password when opening the spreadsheet. Based upon the password (4 options: Groups A-C & Admin), grant the appropriate level of access.

Any ideas on how to do this? I'm open to any solution.

Thanks for your time.

Excel Facts

How to total the visible cells?
From the first blank cell below a filtered data set, press Alt+=. Instead of SUM, you will get SUBTOTAL(9,)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mwdbActuary

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back