long IF function with Gantt chart in XL97 causing frustration!

shipleyview

Hi,

I'm new here! please be patient with my problem!
I would say I have a basic grasp of excel and have been working with it for several years.
Using excel 97 on XP.

I am creating a formula, in effect to return a result in a Gantt chart, which references times and returns "1" or "0" if true or false.
The following formula works fine to this end:

:)=IF(AND($I3,$K3,$M3,$O3=""),"0",IF(AND(Q$2>=$I3,R$2<=$J3),1,"0"))

=IF(AND($I3,$K3,$M3,$O3=""),"0" This is here so I get "0" if there are no times (i.e.blank) in the 4 relevant cells.

IF(AND(Q$2>=$I3,R$2<=$J3),1,"0")) This checks cell "I3" which could have any time of the day, lets say "11:00", then looks at the top of the Gantt chart (Row 2) which has a run of times in 15min intervals from 06:00(Q2) to 06:00(DI2) the next day, then looks at "J3" the next time, say 12:00, then returns "1" in the relevant 4 cells in the gantt chart. (I am happy the times in Row 2 are correct as I have had to correct a few here)

The problem I am having is when trying to increase the number IF functions. This is required as I want to look at 4 different start and finish times in any given day, and indicate these with a "1" in the Gantt.

Here is one of the formulas I have tried which is returning the incorrect result:-

:oops:=IF(AND($I3,$K3,$M3,$O3=""),"0",IF(AND(Q$2>=$I3,R$2<=$J3),1,IF(AND(Q$2>=$K3,R$2<=$L3),1,IF(AND(Q$2>=$M3,R$2<=$N3),1,IF(AND(Q$2>=$O3,R$2<=$P3),1,"0")))))

I have also tried using an OR function to resolve the problem, but again get the incorrect result.

:oops:=IF(AND($I3,$K3,$M3,$O3=""),"0",OR(AND(Q$2>=$I3,R$2<=$J3),(AND(Q$2>=$K3,R$2<=$L3)),(AND(Q$2>=$M3,R$2<=$N3)),(AND(Q$2>=$O3,R$2<=$P3))))

My thoughts are with the first, formula of these, and I have made a simple mistake of leaving out a "," or ")"

Your help here would be greatly appreciated,
Many thanks:)

Excel Facts

Enter current date or time
Ctrl+: enters current time. Ctrl+; enters current date. Use Ctrl+: Ctrl+; Enter for current date & time.
Hi, Just to add, the incorrect result is placing "1" in every cell in the Gantt!
Sorry for not being more specific....

Upvote 0
The Gantt chart is in the cells , and not in a separate chart.

The spreadsheet is to be used to plan break times in a working day and highlight these so you can see the total amount of team working at any given time.

Thanks

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Excel Master

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back