Lookup string (with wildcard) from list and return multiple values

MichaelS94

Board Regular
Hi,

I'm trying to use the index and small functions (from a formula i found online) to search a list of text and return any values that have a partial match.

E.g. I search for "book" and it returns a corresponding number for "antique books", "assembling of books", "book publishing" etc.

The formula i used is below and i found it online - it doen'st work with wiildcards and only works if there is an exact match.

=IF(ISERROR(INDEX($A$1:$B$15600,SMALL(IF($A$1:$A$15600=$E$1,ROW($A$1:$A$15600)),ROW(1:1)),2)),"",INDEX($A$1:$B$15600,SMALL(IF($A$1:$A156008=$E$1,ROW($A$1:$A$15600)),ROW(1:1)),2))

Here is what my spreadsheet looks like and ideally how I want it to work:

List
Number
Lookup
Book
bla bla
Matches:
bla bla
bla bla
book maker
bla bla
bla bla
antique books
bla bla
bla bla
bla bla
book publisher
bla bla
bla bla
bla bla
bla bla

<tbody>
</tbody>

Could any of you please have a look and offer any recommendations /advice? Essentially I just have a long list and want to be able to search for something and it would return any (often multiple) suitable matches.

Thanks so much - really stuck on this one!

Excel Facts

Which came first: VisiCalc or Lotus 1-2-3?
Dan Bricklin and Bob Frankston debuted VisiCalc in 1979 as a Visible Calculator. Lotus 1-2-3 debuted in the early 1980's, from Mitch Kapor.
What is the name of the sheet housing the data? Those numbers are sequential: is this on purpose or unfortunate example?

Upvote 0
Try this, copied down, provided you are using Excel 2010 or later.

Excel Workbook
ABCD
1ListNumberLookupBook
2bla bla1Matches:4
3bla bla27
4bla bla311
5book maker4
6bla bla5
7bla bla6
8antique books7
9bla bla8
10bla bla9
11bla bla10
12book publisher11
13bla bla12
14bla bla13
15bla bla14
16bla bla15
Partial match

Upvote 0
Spreadsheet Formulas
CellFormula
D2=IFERROR(AGGREGATE(15,6,B2:B16/(SEARCH("*"&D$1&"*",A2:A16)>0),ROWS(D$2:D2)),"")

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

Excel tables to the web >> Excel Jeanie HTML 4

That works perfectly! Thank you so much!

One final addition (if possible) - would you be able to set it so that you can input two words (e.g. "book maker") into the lookup field? In other words you could search for multiple words and it would return values that match all of the words?

Upvote 0
Spreadsheet Formulas
CellFormula
D2=IFERROR(AGGREGATE(15,6,B2:B16/(SEARCH("*"&D$1&"*",A2:A16)>0),ROWS(D$2:D2)),"")

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

Two additional things:

1. Is it possible to change the formula to return the actual matched text rather than the corresponding number? So you search for "book" and it returns "book maker", "antique books" etc. rather than "4", "7" and "11" etc.?

2. would you be able to set it so that you can input two words (e.g. "book maker") into the lookup field? In other words you could search for multiple words and it would return values that match all of the words? (Don't worry if not possible - I'm just curious as to if it would work)

Thank you!

Upvote 0

Two additional things:

1. Is it possible to change the formula to return the actual matched text rather than the corresponding number? So you search for "book" and it returns "book maker", "antique books" etc. rather than "4", "7" and "11" etc.?

2. would you be able to set it so that you can input two words (e.g. "book maker") into the lookup field? In other words you could search for multiple words and it would return values that match all of the words? (Don't worry if not possible - I'm just curious as to if it would work)

Thank you!

Are those values in B2:B16 sequential or just numbers? Are they even part of you data, considering that they are not needed for calculating 4, 7, 11?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Also, can you clarify the following
.. would you be able to set it so that you can input two words (e.g. "book maker") into the lookup field? In other words you could search for multiple words and it would return values that match all of the words?
For example. if "book maker" was in the lookup cell, what should be returned from this list?

Excel Workbook
ABCD
1ListNumberLookupbook maker
2I read a book1
3He is a home-maker2
4Ask the book maker3
5Ask the maker of the book4
6Have you seen a boobook owl?5
7Tom Makerson was at the booklaunch6
8Did you read the book Makerson wrote?7
Partial Search

Upvote 0
Also, can you clarify the followingFor example. if "book maker" was in the lookup cell, what should be returned from this list?

Partial Search

*ABCD
1ListNumberLookupbook maker
2I read a book1**
3He is a home-maker2**
4Ask the book maker3**
5Ask the maker of the book4**
6Have you seen a boobook owl?5**
7Tom Makerson was at the booklaunch6**
8Did you read the book Makerson wrote?7**

<colgroup><col style="font-weight:bold; width:30px; "><col style="width:262px;"><col style="width:70px;"><col style="width:67px;"><col style="width:97px;"></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

So each value in the list has a corresponding identification number (which I simplified here to be 1,2,3 etc. for the example). I decided it might be easier to ignore these ID numbers for now, and just use a VLOOKUP later once the suitable match has been selected.

Ultimately, I want the end user to be able to search for something (e.g. "book maker") then have a list of possible matches returned (e.g. ask the book maker, ask the maker of the book), from which the end user can manually decide which is the best match. The VLOOKUP would then tell the end user what the ID code for this is.

To give some context, these ID codes are used to label projects based on their specific sector/industry. So when someone is working on a project, they need to decide what ID code to give it, and say the project is related to book making, I'm hoping this spreadsheet could return a smaller selection of possible IDs to choose from rather than having to manually search through a list of 16000 values!

Thanks so much, really appreciate your willingness to help!

Upvote 0
Sorry, I wasn't asking for a general description of what you are trying to do, I was asking specifically which values from the list I provided, you would have wanted returned if "book maker" was in the "Lookup box".

Every one of the items in my list contained either "book", "maker" or both but in varying order and in varying combinations with other text.

Does your response below mean that the only two you items you would have wanted returned from my list were the two coloured items? That is, you want items with both lookup words and those words must not be combined into a longer word like "boobook" but the words can be in any order?

Does the below respons
.. search for something (e.g. "book maker") then have a list of possible matches returned (e.g. ask the book maker, ask the maker of the book),

Upvote 0
Does your response below mean that the only two you items you would have wanted returned from my list were the two coloured items? That is, you want items with both lookup words and those words must not be combined into a longer word like "boobook" but the words can be in any order?

Does the below respons

Ah sorry, misunderstood you.

But yes, that's exactly right. The words could appear in any order and should not be combined into a longer word. For example, if I search "road" I don't want "broadcast" etc. appearing.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ravioli44

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back