Macro for a "Save Form" Button. Help please.

codyssey

Hello!

I have created an xlsm file that contains two worksheets. One of them is a locked down form that contains a list of options and pricing for our dealers. the top row is frozen and has a print, save form, email form, and reset button. The problem I am having is with the save form button. I spent almost 4 hours troubleshooting my code today but I still run into errors that I cannot seem to fix, and it doesn't really work the way I was hoping. I'm really hoping someone can give me a fresh idea on this code. Here's what I would like to happen When the button is clicked:

1. The user clicks save form button.
2. A save as dialog box pops up, defaulting to the directory the master xlsm template is in (the current directory)
3. User is only able to save as xlsm extension
4. A field on the form, J8, contains a PO number. I would like the new filename in the save as dialog field to display "existing filename PO_("J8").xlsm" or, in order to differentiate the file name if a PO is not entered, append the current date instead of the PO.
5. What I was doing was replacing the string " PO_.xlsm" with ".xlsm" to remove the PO label from the filename if they didn't enter anything in J8
6. When/if they click cancel instead of save on the dialogue box, the box should close without error :P (my major issue today) and if they click save, then the file is saved as the new name, plus the PO. If a PO is not entered, then save with the current date appended.
7. After the new file is saved, the original is left untouched/unsaved

I am sorry I don't have the code I used at the moment. It's at work, and I figured I would seek insight tonight and hopefully someone can give me some pointers so that tomorrow can be more productive. Thank you all!

Excel Facts

Back into an answer in Excel
Use Data, What-If Analysis, Goal Seek to find the correct input cell value to reach a desired result
See if this helps:

Code:
Sub testsaveas()
    Dim strDefaultName As String, strPONum As String, strpath As String

strPONum = ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Sheet1").Range("J8").Value
    strDefaultName = Left(ThisWorkbook.Name, InStrRev(ThisWorkbook.Name, ".") - 1) & "_"
    If Trim(strPONum) <> "" Then
        strDefaultName = strDefaultName & "PO_" & strPONum
    Else
        strDefaultName = strDefaultName & Format(Date, "yyyymmdd")
    End If
    strDefaultName = strDefaultName & ".xlsm"

ChDir ThisWorkbook.path
    strpath = Application.GetSaveAsFilename(strDefaultName, fileFilter:="Macro enabled file (*.xlsm), *.xlsm")

If strpath <> "False" Then
        msgbox "You selected " & strpath
    Else
        msgbox "You clicked cancel"
    End If

End Sub

Upvote 0
Oh my lawd. Thank you very much, Malkoti. That worked.

Here's one more thing that would be nice that I am just now thinking of since I have it in front of me.

I'll be using this code in about 75 different order forms that all have a different worksheet name. For example,

Code:
strPONum = ThisWorkbook.Sheets("DVN 6X13 PRICE LIST").Range("J8").Value

Can we make ThisWorkbook.Sheets reference the "2nd" or "current" worksheet somehow, so I don't need to go through and change he terms in each set of code? I was using ActiveWorksheet.sheets or something but I don't think it works.

I just took a VBA course. Passed with an A. The obviously didn't push me enough! Then again, I have little experience inside excel.

Upvote 0
You can refer to second sheet as:
Code:
strPONum = ThisWorkbook.Sheets(2).Range("J8").Value
For active sheet:
Code:
strPONum = ThisWorkbook.Activesheet.Range("J8").Value

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davidcom

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back