Macro is working very slowly: how to speed up this macro?

aneshdas

I have a worksheet and I am using an "Auto Present" macro on it. But that macro is working very slowly, Slowly means it is taking more than 5 seconds to process even though other macros are taking only fraction of a second. I don't know why this is so.
So, friends My actual requirement and code I generated are posting below. Kindly help me to sort out this issue. I dont know how to upload a sample worksheet on this forum. If there is a provision to upload the sample file, kindly let me know. so that I can do the same.
Actual Requirement of Mine.

"I have a spreadsheet for entering Employee's details. On that I am entering employee's daily attendance status. I AM USING DATA VALIDATION ON EACH EMPLOYEE STATUS CELLS. Means , I am selecting the status of employees from the Data validation List menu. It is almost 600 employees and entering each and every employee's status is a herculean task. So What I need is, I can enter on the Absent, Casual Leave, and etc...and the remaining unmarked staffs will be PRESENT. So that I need a command button for that purpose. So, when I clicked that button it should automatically apply "P" on the remaining cells on that particular date's column. More clearly, I have 31 columns for each day in a month and on each column's 7th ROW contains that particular day's date. So the macro has to search the empty CELL's between current date's particular column and fill it with "P" while I click the command button. The empty cells will be between 8th row to 500th row on each day's column. One more thing the macro has to check. The empty cell on each day has to fill ONLY IF that cells respective "B" cell having any value (Where the Employee Names entered). More clearly, I am entering Employees name in the "B" Column from 8 th to 500th row. So, After clicking the command button, macro has to find that particular date containing column and find the empty cells between that column's 8th ROW to 500th ROW and fill those empty CELLS with "P", ONLY IF there is any name in the B column."

MY VB CODE FOR AUTO PRESENT:-

Code:
Private Sub Button506_Click()

Dim BeginCol As Long
    Dim endCol As Long
    Dim ChkRow As Long
    Dim rng As Range
    Dim c As Variant

Application.ScreenUpdating = False
    BeginCol = 6
    endCol = 37
    ChkRow = 7
    For Colcnt = BeginCol To endCol
           If Sheets("Sheet1").Cells(ChkRow, Colcnt).Value = Date Then
            Set rng = Sheets("Sheet1").Cells(ChkRow, Colcnt).Rows("2:500")
            For Each c In rng
                If Sheets("Sheet1").Cells(c.Row, 2).Value = "" Then
                    c.Value = "P"
                End If
            Next c
        Else
            'Sheets("Sheet1").Cells(ChkRow, Colcnt).EntireColumn.Hidden = True
        End If
    Next Colcnt

Application.ScreenUpdating = True

End Sub

Excel Facts

Back into an answer in Excel
Use Data, What-If Analysis, Goal Seek to find the correct input cell value to reach a desired result
I have a worksheet and I am using an "Auto Present" macro on it. But that macro is working very slowly, Slowly means it is taking more than 5 seconds to process even though other macros are taking only fraction of a second. I don't know why this is so.
So, friends My actual requirement and code I generated are posting below. Kindly help me to sort out this issue. I dont know how to upload a sample worksheet on this forum. If there is a provision to upload the sample file, kindly let me know. so that I can do the same.
Actual Requirement of Mine.

"I have a spreadsheet for entering Employee's details. On that I am entering employee's daily attendance status. I AM USING DATA VALIDATION ON EACH EMPLOYEE STATUS CELLS. Means , I am selecting the status of employees from the Data validation List menu. It is almost 600 employees and entering each and every employee's status is a herculean task. So What I need is, I can enter on the Absent, Casual Leave, and etc...and the remaining unmarked staffs will be PRESENT. So that I need a command button for that purpose. So, when I clicked that button it should automatically apply "P" on the remaining cells on that particular date's column. More clearly, I have 31 columns for each day in a month and on each column's 7th ROW contains that particular day's date. So the macro has to search the empty CELL's between current date's particular column and fill it with "P" while I click the command button. The empty cells will be between 8th row to 500th row on each day's column. One more thing the macro has to check. The empty cell on each day has to fill ONLY IF that cells respective "B" cell having any value (Where the Employee Names entered). More clearly, I am entering Employees name in the "B" Column from 8 th to 500th row. So, After clicking the command button, macro has to find that particular date containing column and find the empty cells between that column's 8th ROW to 500th ROW and fill those empty CELLS with "P", ONLY IF there is any name in the B column."

MY VB CODE FOR AUTO PRESENT:-

Code:
Private Sub Button506_Click()

Dim BeginCol As Long
    Dim endCol As Long
    Dim ChkRow As Long
    Dim rng As Range
    Dim c As Variant

Application.ScreenUpdating = False
    BeginCol = 6
    endCol = 37
    ChkRow = 7
    For Colcnt = BeginCol To endCol
           If Sheets("Sheet1").Cells(ChkRow, Colcnt).Value = Date Then
            Set rng = Sheets("Sheet1").Cells(ChkRow, Colcnt).Rows("2:500")
            For Each c In rng
                If Sheets("Sheet1").Cells(c.Row, 2).Value = "" Then
                    c.Value = "P"
                End If
            Next c
        Else
        End If
    Next Colcnt

Application.ScreenUpdating = True

End Sub

Friends,

Kindly help me...please

Upvote 0
Did you comment out this line of code? The very first character looks like a single quote or apostrophe symbol? Maybe you commented it out to see if hidding columns was slowing you down?

Next question, is a For Next Loop the fastest way to do a Loop?
</pre>

Upvote 0
Yes sir, I comment out the same. Since that is not required.Another macro is already running to hide the same Or it is already hidden.

And I am not a savvy on VBA. so humbly requesting you to kindly provide the code with your suggestions.

Upvote 0
look at REPLACE

Sheets("Sheet1").Cells(ChkRow, Colcnt).Rows("2:500").Select

Selection.Replace What:="", Replacement:="P", LookAt:=xlWhole, _
SearchOrder:=xlByRows, MatchCase:=False, SearchFormat:=False, _
ReplaceFormat:=False

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ExcelfromGermany

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back