Macro move file to existing folder by name using filename first left7 digits with a space delimiter

DeMoNloK

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I'm looking for some help. I started trying to use excel for this project yesterday.
I originally scripted a batch file to run this operation.
The batch works in a small and limited environment.
I tried the batch in a live folder and it was a complete failure with files being multiplied and moved into random folders.

My goal is to move 50+ new .pdf files created everyday using the first 7 digits and an accompanying space to match my Projects folder working structure.
all .pdf will start with a 7 digit number followed by a space between each date and name, the folder structure is set up using the 7 digit naming but has info about the project.
file example; 1234567 4-17-2021 name hr code.pdf Folder example; 1234567 projectName Date with a subfolder of service reports, the service report folder within the main project folder will house all incoming .pdfs'
The code below works, but will only work when the folder has only 7 digits. As soon as I rename the folder to match the naming scheme of the actual folder layout excel freezes and then crashes.
Any and all help will be appreciated.
service.PNG

VBA Code:
[COLOR=rgb(41, 105, 176)]Sub MoveFiles()

Dim fName As String, fromPath As String, toPath As String, Cnt As Long
On Error Resume Next

toPath = "C:\Users\RyZeNx\Desktop\wip\"
fromPath = "C:\Users\RyZeNx\Desktop\test\"

Restart:
If Cnt > 1 Then Exit Sub
fName = Dir(fromPath & "*.pdf")

Do While Len(fName) > 4
    If Cnt > 1 Then Exit Sub
    Cnt = 0
    toSubPath = toPath & Left(fName, 7) & "\Service Reports\"
    If Len(Dir(toSubPath, vbDirectory)) = 0 Then MkDir toSubPath
    Name (fromPath & fName) As (toSubPath & fName)
    fName = Dir
Loop

Cnt = Cnt + 1
GoTo Restart

End Sub[/COLOR]

Excel Facts

Select all contiguous cells
Pressing Ctrl+* (asterisk) will select the "current region" - all contiguous cells in all directions.
To be sure the final folder is well created this thread may help :​

Upvote 0
To be sure the final folder is well created this thread may help :​
The final folder is already created. I just don't know the right expression to have the move function to place file name in the corresponding folder name at the space after the 7 digit name. The space after numbers name is the delimiter, any text after 1234567 won't matter as long as the file is name the same as the folder so 1234567 name.pdf will go into folder 1234567 project\service report.

so what I'm seeing is between
VBA Code:
toSubPath = toPath & Left(fName, 7) & [COLOR=rgb(184, 49, 47)]??????[/COLOR] & "\Service Reports\"
is a missing function

Upvote 0
The final folder is already created. I just don't know the right expression to have the move function to place file name in the corresponding folder name at the space after the 7 digit name. The space after numbers name is the delimiter, any text after 1234567 won't matter as long as the file is name the same as the folder so 1234567 name.pdf will go into folder 1234567 project\service report.

so what I'm seeing is between
VBA Code:
toSubPath = toPath & Left(fName, 7) & ???????????? & "\Service Reports\"
is a missing function

I see that I DO NOT need to create a directory because the folders already exist, looks like I need to figure out how to tell excel just to move the files based off name. Every time I rename the des folder to something I have at the office, excel crashes. I think do to the folder has a similar name but unable to the create a folder

Upvote 0
Just reading VBA help a beginner starter demonstration how to move a file if the destination folder already exists :​
VBA Code:
Sub Demo1()
    Const FD = "C:\Users\RyZeNx\Desktop\test\", TD = "C:\Users\RyZeNx\Desktop\wip\"
      Dim F$, L&, S$(), P$
          F = Dir(FD & "*.pdf")
    While F > ""
        L = L + 1
        ReDim Preserve S(1 To L)
        S(L) = F
        F = Dir
    Wend
    For L = 1 To L
        P = TD & Split(S(L))(0) & "\Service Reports\"
        If Dir(P, vbDirectory) = "." Then If Dir(P & S(L)) = "" Then Name FD & S(L) As P & S(L)
    Next
End Sub

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Just reading VBA help a beginner starter demonstration to move a file if the destination folder already exists :​
VBA Code:
Sub Demo1()
    Const FD = "C:\Users\RyZeNx\Desktop\test\", TD = "C:\Users\RyZeNx\Desktop\wip\"
      Dim F$, L&, S$(1 To 1), P$
          F = Dir(FD & "*.pdf")
    While F > ""
        L = L + 1
        If L > 1 Then ReDim Preserve S(1 To L)
        S(L) = F
        F = Dir
    Wend
    For L = 1 To L
        P = TD & Split(S(L))(0) & "\Service Reports\"
        If Dir(P, vbDirectory) = "." Then If Dir(P & S(L)) = "" Then Name FD & S(L) As P & S(L)
    Next
End Sub
This is super greek, I have a lot to learn.

Upvote 0
My bad, see the updated code …​
It works when the folder is named only 1234567, but as soon as I rename folder to correct naming scheme 1234567 Project blue red green it doesn't move.
This is where things get confusing.
full name.PNG
unnamed.PNG

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbomb1414

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back