Macro Run-Time Error

usmc_tanks

Hello,
I'm hoping someone can help me out with an error I'm receiving when I run my macro. I have a macro that will copy the active sheet then paste it to a new worksheet and at the same time it will name the new tab based on the value in cell B3. The problem I'm having is when I run the macro the first time a dialog box pops us saying "File not found" I click the "ok" and then I get the Run-time error '1004': Copy method of worksheet class failed but if I click end and run the macro several more times the macro works perfect, its usually when I open the file the first time.

I know the code works, I just have to go through the motions of clicking end on the run-time error before it starts to work correctly.
Any thoughts?
Thanks!

I don't understand why sometimes it works and sometimes it don't?

No, I don't either. So does the message only appear for the one sheet? Can you try manually re-creating the worksheet and deleting the problem one?

Alternatively if you are able to upload the workbook to a file sharing site (like dropbox) and share the link here - someone may be willing to take a look at it for you.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Convert text numbers to real numbers
Select a column containing text numbers. Press Alt+D E F to quickly convert text to numbers. Faster than "Convert to Number"
I think you are trying to copy after all the worksheets, are you meaning to add a new sheet then copy to it?

I am trying to copy after all the worksheets. Essentially, I want it to make a copy of what the users input was, move it to a new tab but rename this tab with whats in cell E2.

It's more or less a running log, the user will enter information/answer questions, enter the tag # into cell E2, they click the button and the macro makes a copy, moves it to the end and renames it with what was entered into cell E2. If I ever need to go back and look for a specific tag number, I should be able to find the tab that matches.

I'm not an expert in code, just know enough to be dangerous and confuse myself......

Upvote 0
Is it possible that when naming the new sheet you are naming it the same as another one already in the workbook

Upvote 0
No, I don't either. So does the message only appear for the one sheet? Can you try manually re-creating the worksheet and deleting the problem one?

Alternatively if you are able to upload the workbook to a file sharing site (like dropbox) and share the link here - someone may be willing to take a look at it for you.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1wAByHP8qUIg1NoEU96EtB5NWznSGW8NG

I've added the file at the location above, hopefully the link works. In the file there is a button for "save file" this should move, copy and rename worksheet. It works the first couple times but the error comes up anywhere between 2nd and 4th attempt?

Upvote 0
I added a line to your existing code so I could just keep clicking the button.
I quit after adding about 50 sheets.
No issues at all, just keeps adding and naming them with every click.
Rich (BB code):
Sub Copyrenameworksheet()

Dim ws As Worksheet
    Set ws = Worksheets(ActiveSheet.Name)
 Application.DisplayAlerts = False
    ActiveSheet.Copy After:=Worksheets(Sheets.Count)
    Application.DisplayAlerts = True
    If ws.Range("E2").Value <> "" Then
    ActiveSheet.Name = ws.Range("E2").Value

End If
    ws.Activate
    ws.Range("E2").Value = ws.Range("E2").Value + 1

End Sub

Upvote 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks everyone! I did try safe mode and it worked fine, I do think there is an add-on issue. Possibly the EPM add-on? I just need to keep doing a process of elimination and see which one works. If I can single anything out I'll post it to the forum, again Thanks for looking at the file and providing all your input!
@NoSparks, thanks for the extra line to add the number up +1!

I'll have plenty more questions in the future for macros, I'm trying to simplify a lot of the work my employees are doing by adding the macros to reduce the amount of mistakes by doing it manually.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blaineSpartan

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back