Macro to add a formula to a cell and fill down the column

cfarrell93

I'm trying to create a macro that will insert a formula into Column D and fill all the way down the column. The formula is a series of IF statements referencing the corresponding cell in Column C.

The formula I would like to insert is the following:

=IF(C2="G1","Generic Activity",IF(C2="D2","Delivered",IF(C2="E1","Exception",IF(C2="O1","Picked Up",IF(C2="G1","Generic Activity",IF(C2="D1","Delivered",IF(C2="M2","Manifested",IF(C2="M1","Manifested",""))))))))

I have tried to do this a few ways using information from other threads, but I continue to get error messages and bugs because of the formula. I think it's because of text within the IF statements ("G1", "Generic Activity, "E1", "Exception", etc.)

Any advice is much appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Excel Facts

Format cells as time
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+2 to format cells as time. (Shift 2 is the @ sign).
hellogoodbye
hellgoodnight
higoodnight
hellogoodbye
supgoodnight
I1 is=IF(H1="hello","goodbye","goodnight")
it drags down fine
so if you had =if(M1="hello","goodbye","goodnight") in cell N1
macro would be
cells(1,14). Code here to copy cell
cells(I1).select
code to paste into I1
code to paste into I2
etc

<colgroup><col width="64" span="13" style="width:48pt"> </colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

Upvote 0
I have been trying this code but can't figure out why it isn't working:

Range("D2:D").Formula = "=IF(C2=""G1"",""Generic Activity"",IF(C2=""D2"",""Delivered"",IF(C2=""E1"",""Exception"",IF(C2=""O1"",""Picked Up"",IF(C2=""G1"",""Generic Activity"",IF(C2=""D1"",""Delivered"",IF(C2=""M2"",""Manifested"",IF(C2=""M1"",""Manifested"",""))))))))"

OldBrewer thanks for your response, I think your solution might be a bit beyond my knowledge of vba coding though.

Upvote 0
all mine does is to copy the master cell and paste it into a number of other cells

in a new workbook record a macro copy G1 and paste into A1 then A2 then A3 then stop macro, and look at the code

Upvote 0
Your formula seems to have some duplicate conditions, but you can greatly simplify that by putting the whole thing in a VLOOKUP:

=IFERROR(VLOOKUP(C2,{"G1","Generic Activity";"D2","Delivered";"E1","Exception";"O1","Picked Up";"M2","Manifested";"M1","Manifested"},2,0),"")

and then here you go:

Code:
Sub test()
Range("D2:D" & Range("C" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row).Formula = "=IFERROR(VLOOKUP(C2,{""G1"",""Generic Activity"";""D2"",""Delivered"";""E1"",""Exception"";""O1"",""Picked Up"";""M2"",""Manifested"";""M1"",""Manifested""},2,0),"""")"
End Sub

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gina V

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back