Macro to save a life, Combine Cell Contents based on other Cell Value

jeffsdan

I am having an impossible time finding a solution for this. I need to combine cell contents in an unusual way (see below), based on if there is an "x" in column A. See below for the exact representation of what I need to do in a worksheet with 200,000 total cells of content. Is there any hope? Anyone who can help will be my personal hero for life, and you may save a life (mine!)!

Current data format:

col1 col2 col3 col4 col5
row1ABCDE
row2xalg
row3bmhTitle A
row4cni
row5xdoj
row6epkTitle B
row7fqlTitle C
row8grm

<tbody>
</tbody>
The above table can be copied and dropped directly in to Excel

Needed format:

col1 col2 col3 col4 col5
row1ABCDE
row2xa b cl m ng h iTitle A
row3xd e f go p q rj k l mTitle B/Title C

<tbody>
</tbody>
The above table can be copied and dropped directly in to Excel

If no solution to the above can be found, perhaps I could do this one column at a time by copying the individual columns into separate sheets, run a Macro, then copy the reformatted info back (EG, just do column A and one other column at a time like below). I am not sure of any other options or approaches to accomplishing this, but an open to thoughts.

Current data format:

• <code class="language-vb" style="font-family: Consolas, Monaco, 'Courier New', Courier, monospace;">A B </code>
  • <code class="language-vb" style="font-family: Consolas, Monaco, 'Courier New', Courier, monospace;">x a </code>
  • <code class="language-vb" style="font-family: Consolas, Monaco, 'Courier New', Courier, monospace;"> b </code>
  • <code class="language-vb" style="font-family: Consolas, Monaco, 'Courier New', Courier, monospace;"> c </code>
  • <code class="language-vb" style="font-family: Consolas, Monaco, 'Courier New', Courier, monospace;">x d </code>
  • <code class="language-vb" style="font-family: Consolas, Monaco, 'Courier New', Courier, monospace;"> e </code>
  • <code class="language-vb" style="font-family: Consolas, Monaco, 'Courier New', Courier, monospace;"> f </code>
  • <code class="language-vb" style="font-family: Consolas, Monaco, 'Courier New', Courier, monospace;"> g </code>
<code class="language-vb" style="font-family: Consolas, Monaco, 'Courier New', Courier, monospace;">
Needed format:

• <code class="language-vb" style="font-family: Consolas, Monaco, 'Courier New', Courier, monospace;">A B </code>
  • <code class="language-vb" style="font-family: Consolas, Monaco, 'Courier New', Courier, monospace;">x a b c </code>
  • <code class="language-vb" style="font-family: Consolas, Monaco, 'Courier New', Courier, monospace;">x d e f g </code>
</code>

Awe, I think I know what's wrong, the Macro freezes on rows where two consecutive rows have an "X" in the first column. Any way to prevent that?

I have some alternate code in mind, but it may be sensitive to the size of your data... can you answer the questions I asked in my last message please?

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Copy formula down without changing references
If you have =SUM(F2:F49) in F50; type Alt+' in F51 to copy =SUM(F2:F49) to F51, leaving the formula in edit mode. Change SUM to COUNT.
31,000 rows, one column (column A) with "x"s, and five columns (B,C,D,E,F) with data. The data averages ~130 characters each cell.

Upvote 0
31,000 rows, one column (column A) with "x"s, and five columns (B,C,D,E,F) with data. The data averages ~130 characters each cell.

Sorry, one more question... what is the lowest version of Excel that the macro for this functionality will run on? I am interested in whether they will all be XL2010 or later or not.

Upvote 0
Excel 2010 only
Perfect, that makes it easier (no limit on one of the functions I need to use). Give this macro a try...

Code:
Sub CombineBlanksWithCellAboveByConcatenatingOtherColumns()
  Dim X As Long, LastRow As Long, Text As String, Blanks As Range, Ar As Range
  LastRow = Columns("B:E").Find(What:="*", SearchOrder:=xlRows, SearchDirection:=xlPrevious, LookIn:=xlValues).Row
  With Range("A1:A" & LastRow).SpecialCells(xlBlanks)
    For Each Ar In .Areas
      For X = 1 To 4
        With Ar(1).Offset(-1).Offset(, X)
          Text = Application.Trim(Join(Application.Transpose(.Resize(Ar.Rows.Count + 1).Value), IIf(X = 4, "/", " ")))
          If X = 4 Then
            Text = Replace(Replace(Application.Trim(Replace(Replace(Text, " ", Chr(1)), "/", " ")), " ", "/"), Chr(1), " ")
          End If
          .Value = Text
        End With
      Next
    Next
    .EntireRow.Delete
  End With
End Sub

Upvote 0
Tried running it, it said "run time error 1004, no cells were found"
Can you send me a copy of the file so that I can see what the difference is between the test data I set up based on your description of the data (on which the code worked perfectly) and your actual physical code? My email address is...

rick DOT news AT verizon DOT net

Please include the name of this thread in your response (so I can link your file back to this thread).

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nmaske

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back