Macro to Search for Value in One Column and Append the value in another column

KlayontKress

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
I'm looking for a macro to look for a specific Text String in a column and then append the value in another column. We have a program that exports out to a template in excel to do generate a pricing quote for our customers and We have someone manually doing adding values to the name of the product to reflect it's modifications.

For example, the column I want to search is Column E and the value I want to Append is Column A. I need a macro to search Column E for "ID=15" and then add ID15 to the end of the value in column A. I need the macro to search the entire column of E and do the Modifications as there isn't a set length to the data though it rarely goes past 30 line items.

A picture of the sheet is below. I need to be able to do this with several different values but a basic Macro to do the above will allow me to adapt it to my needs.

ABCDE
DescriptionCustomer DescriptionQtyOptionsModifications
ACM81.00
B33 SS1 BUTT1.00
B39 SS12.00
BTK8 PRT2.00
CM8 BLD1.00
CM8 WD1.00
SHM8 BLD2.00
UF22.00
UF31.00
UF3421.00
UM8 BLD3.00
UM8 WD3.00
W3036 BUTT1.00 FEDEP;UPBOXIND12~ID=15
W3342 BUTT1.00
W3624 BUTT1.00
W39422.00
W3036 BUTT1.00 IND12~ID=15
SM8 WD1.00

<tbody>
</tbody><colgroup><col><col><col><col><col></colgroup>

Thanks in advance,

Excel Facts

Create a chart in one keystroke
Select the data and press Alt+F1 to insert a default chart. You can change the default chart to any chart type
Hi,

So after the value in Column E is found, which value in Column A gets appended. Is it the value in the same row?

Upvote 0
Hi,

So after the value in Column E is found, which value in Column A gets appended. Is it the value in the same row?

Yes, the value in the same row is getting modified. I should have been more specific.

Upvote 0
How about something like this:

Code:
Sub AppendString()
    Dim resp As Variant
    Dim InStng As String
    Dim lRow As Long, i As Long
    Dim rng As Range

lRow = ActiveSheet.Cells(Rows.Count, 5).End(xlUp).Row
    InStng = Application.InputBox("List the values separated by commas:" & _
    vbCrLf & "Search String, Append String", "Values", Type:=2)
    resp = Split(InStng, ",")
    For i = 2 To lRow
        If Cells(i, 5) Like "*" & resp(0) & "*" Then
            Cells(i, 1) = Cells(i, 1) & " " & resp(1)
        End If
    Next

End Sub

I hope this helps.

Upvote 0
How about something like this:

Code:
Sub AppendString()
    Dim resp As Variant
    Dim InStng As String
    Dim rng As Range

For i = 2 To lRow
        End If
    Next

End Sub

I hope this helps.

I'm getting an Error at the line that is red.

Also, is there a way to change this so that it doesn't need user intervention? When we export the file into excel to modify it, there is already a series of macros that run to do formatting and I'd like this to happen automatically on import without user intervention.

Sub AppendString()
Dim resp As Variant
Dim InStng As String
Dim rng As Range

For i = 2 To lRow
End If
Next

End Sub

Upvote 0
Two questions:

1) What is the error you are getting?
2) Without user intervention, how is the code going to know what the search terms are and what the append string is?

Upvote 0
Two questions:

1) What is the error you are getting?
2) Without user intervention, how is the code going to know what the search terms are and what the append string is?

1) The debugger just points a yellow arrow at that line.

2) I'd like to specify in the macro to look for a specific string of text in column E and then add a string of text to the same row in column A.

For example, using the chart I pasted initially, I'd like the macro to look for "ID=15" in Column E and, in the specific case of row 13, add "ID15" to Column A Row 13's Value Changing it from "W3036 Butt" to "W3036 Butt, ID 15".

The text I'll want added to column A will not always be the exact same text being searched for which is why I'd like to be able to specify the nomenclature added to the cell in column A. The reason for this is because we have a difference of nomenclature between what we use and what IT programmed

Upvote 0
As far as the error goes, it was probably a subscript error because you did not enter two strings in the InputBox as instructed.

For example, using the chart I pasted initially, I'd like the macro to look for "ID=15" in Column E and, in the specific case of row 13, add "ID15" to Column A Row 13's Value Changing it from "W3036 Butt" to "W3036 Butt, ID 15".

The text I'll want added to column A will not always be the exact same text being searched for which is why I'd like to be able to specify the nomenclature added to the cell in column A. The reason for this is because we have a difference of nomenclature between what we use and what IT programmed

How is this going to happen without user intervention... Is there going to be a list of search strings and desired nomenclature located somewhere in your sheet..

Upvote 0
As far as the error goes, it was probably a subscript error because you did not enter two strings in the InputBox as instructed.

How is this going to happen without user intervention... Is there going to be a list of search strings and desired nomenclature located somewhere in your sheet..

No, I was going to define it within the macro. I just need a generic macro to look in column E for a value I specify (within the macro), and add a value to the same row in column A with text I specify (within the macro).

Sub BlahBlahBlahYackitySmackity()

'insert code to define column
'insert code to search defined column for "ID=15" (let's hypothetically there was such a value in E1)
'insert code to change value in column A to (in this specific case): ("A1") & ", ID 15"
End Sub

Upvote 0
You can extract that from my original code:

Code:
[COLOR=#333333]lRow = ActiveSheet.Cells(Rows.Count, 5).End(xlUp).Row[/COLOR]
For i = 2 To lRow
        If Cells(i, 5) Like "*" & [COLOR=#ff0000]resp(0)[/COLOR] & "*" Then
            Cells(i, 1) = Cells(i, 1) & " " & [COLOR=#ff0000]resp(1)[/COLOR]
        End If
Next

This will look down column E and find a wildcard match to resp(0) and then append column A with resp(1). You can replace resp(0) (your search string), and resp(1) (your append string), with your own hardcoded values...

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sramesh1024

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back