macro workbook other users

mikeover

Hello. I have a workbook (not Personal.xls) that contains my macros, called My_Macros.xls and another workbook with data, let's say its called Data.xls. When I am logged on, I open both workbooks, and from Data.xls I run the macro stored in My_Macros.xls and it works fine. These files are stored on a shared drive.

However, when other users try to do the same thing, it doesn't work. VBA spits out some message about being unable to find the worksheet it is trying to activate.

I have read lots of posts about distributing your macro to other users but it seemed like they mostly applied to those people who have their macros stored in Personal.xls. But mine are in a separate workbook.

How can I make other users able to use my macros that I have stored in My_Macros.xls on a shared drive? It seems like there is some sort of permissions problem but I am not sure. Thanks.

Excel Facts

Why does 9 mean SUM in SUBTOTAL?
It is because Sum is the 9th alphabetically in Average, Count, CountA, Max, Min, Product, StDev.S, StDev.P, Sum, VAR.S, VAR.P.
Have you looked at distributing them as an add-in? This is often the recommended method for sharing macros.

Dom

Upvote 0
Can you distribute as an add-in even if they are not in your personal.xls file? Are these the correct steps?

1. Open My_Macros.xls and save as My_Macros.addin.
2. Have other user log into system.
3. Open Excel, Tools -> Addins -> Browse, find the addin
4. Save as their own Their_Macros.xls???
5. And then open Data.xls and run the macro from Their_Macros.xls???

Are those the correct steps?

Thanks.

Upvote 0
Sure, it would be normal to pop them in a blank workbook to create your add-in from rather than the personal.xls workbook.

There are plenty of guides to distibuting add-ins. I used the steps in John Walkenbach's Excel Power Programming 2003 when I created a couple for work but have a look here or do Google for 'Distributing macros as an add-in' and you should get quite a few good pointers.

Dom

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aaagu

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back