Making Data Validation List Easier

songgirl101

Hi! I need some help making a data validation list easier to search/use. I have about 600 supplier names in my data validation list and it makes it really tedious to have to scroll down to find the right one in alphabetical order. Is there any way to make the list searchable? Also, if possible to make searchable it needs to be searchable in each individual cell as a new record is added almost every day with the supplier name (selected from the drop down list) and some other information. I have tried a combo box but it doesn't seem to work or I'm not doing it right. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thank you!

Excel Facts

What is =ROMAN(40) in Excel?
The Roman numeral for 40 is XL. Bill "MrExcel" Jelen's 40th book was called MrExcel XL.
Looking for the same function. I'd be interested in finding a solution.

At moment looking at Combo box but after your experience perhaps that might not be the wright way.

Thanks

Upvote 0
Well, without programming in Visual Basic it could be hard to make this easier. Are you willing to include macros in your file?

Upvote 0
Well, without programming in Visual Basic it could be hard to make this easier. Are you willing to include macros in your file?

Yes! Macros are absolutely fine. I'm willing to use visual basic no problem just haven't figured out how it works with this type of question.

Upvote 0
I expect MVB is the only way. I'm a beginner at this though and spent a very unproductive weekend producing a Bill of Materials spreadsheet.
"Sheet1 - is list of material", "Sheet2 - Bill of materials. "

Column 1 enter materials via drop down fields - list of materials very large and looking for way to enter few initial letters to reduce the drop down options. e.g building materials: bricks, ballast, blockwork etc, from a list of 100's

Another thought based on this Bill of Materials form. If item not found in drop down list I would like the/another macro to add it to the inventory list. I have already created a macro that searches for next available cell in "sheet1 material list" for manual entry but not very user friendly.

Any help would prevent further hair pulling.

Many thanks

Upvote 0
Thanks Manu197a and dmt32 I've looked at some of the youtube video and seems to do the job.

However the Drop Down menu field needs to be copied to extend a list. When I do this the Data Validation does not "appear" to be copied to the new location. It is not practical to edit every time I copy the drop down field.

Do you guys have a solution to this. Seem like a compromise either have a shorted limited selection on the drop down or wade through a long list of items.

Suggestions welcome. Colin

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abitrandom82

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back