MAX and IF Formulas

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello,

I have some data in Table 1 which is a rolling transactional list from accounts, it gives me every payment from every supplier as a cumulative and I would like a formula to return the most recent payment. I’ve deduced I need a max formula to look this up from the table. However, I require this to link back to each supplier code in another table. So far I have:

=MAX(IF(Table1[Supplier Ref]='Supplier Liability'!C7,Table1[Total Value]))

Table 1 being on Tab 1
“Supplier Liability” being a separate tab.

Cell Values in Column C in supplier liability tab is a unique code for the supplier i.e. C9999/5050/BC (Contract Number / Supplier Number / User).

Supplier Ref in Table 1 may contain some or all of this string e.g. C9999/5050/BC, C9999/5050, or say 5050/BC but will in some shape or form contain a four digit number usually beginning with 5.

At the moment the formula is only returning the max value contained within all of Table 1 rather than yielding the max values for each code in Column C.

I’m not sure where I am going wrong? Ideally, I’d also like the formula to capture the number with the 5XXX prefix to account for inputting errors.

Thank you in advance!

Excel Facts

Whats the difference between CONCAT and CONCATENATE?
The newer CONCAT function can reference a range of cells. =CONCATENATE(A1,A2,A3,A4,A5) becomes =CONCAT(A1:A5)
Hi,

Starting with the obvious: MAX IF formula's with criteria should be entered as an ARRAY formula and confirmed with Ctrl+Shift+Enter. Not just enter.
If entered correctly, Excel will surround the formula with curly braces {}.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NickWBA

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back