MAX Value Help

kzoocheme

I have worksheets that are labeled A-Q, all with data that is formatted the same. On worksheet R, I have column A with IDs. I want to find the max value in Column L across worksheets A-Q by matching the IDs in columns A of A-Q to column A on worksheet R. Is that feasible? Feel like MAX(IF) would work, but I am not having any success.

Excel Facts

Formula for Yesterday
Name Manager, New Name. Yesterday =TODAY()-1. OK. Then, use =YESTERDAY in any cell. Tomorrow could be =TODAY()+1.
3-D formulas (formulas involving more than 1 sheet) are particularly tricky in Excel. There are only a few functions that allow that. For example, if you just want the maximum value in column D of sheets A:Q you could use:

=MAX('A:Q'!L:L)

But even this isn't perfect - it assumes all the sheets are in order, and that there are no other sheets in the middle.

And if you want to use some kind of IF as part of that? Forget it! :eek:

There are various tricks using array formulas, OFFSET, INDIRECT, SUBTOTAL, and so on, but I am not aware of any way that these will work for you. The best I could come up with is:

=MAX((A!K1:K5=D!K1:K5)*A!L1:L5,(B!K1:K5=D!K1:K5)*B!L1:L5,('C'!K1:K5=D!K1:K5)*'C'!L1:L5)
confirmed with Control+Shift+Enter.

You'd have to repeat each of the colored sections for each of your sheets, so it would end up as a long formula. You could put the individual sheet formula on the actual sheet, say in Z1, then use =MAX('A:Q'!Z1) to get the final result.

Hope this gives you some ideas.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LKN2GO

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back