Median function add-in for Excel 2011 (Mac)?

mmmmisha

Hi: I've been using Excel 2007 and an add-in from Digdb that allows me to calculate medians within filtered tables, since that is not one of the options currently available within Excel (on the total line at the end of the table).

Now that Microsoft has released Excel 2011, I'm hoping to gravitate my large database over to it since that's my native platform. I'm wondering whether anyone is aware of an add-in that can calculate medians within filtered tables for the Mac version.

More generally, is anyone familiar enough with both programs to opine as to whether the mac version is now as fully functional as the windows version?

Many thanks!

Excel Facts

Quick Sum
Select a range of cells. The total appears in bottom right of Excel screen. Right-click total to add Max, Min, Count, Average.
I don't know whether an add-in exists for the Mac. However, here's a formula that uses native functions...

=MEDIAN(IF(SUBTOTAL(3,OFFSET(B2:B100,ROW(B2:B100)-ROW(B2),0,1))>0,B2:B100))

...confirmed with CONTROL+SHIFT+ENTER.

Upvote 0
Hi: I've been using Excel 2007 and an add-in from Digdb that allows me to calculate medians within filtered tables, since that is not one of the options currently available within Excel (on the total line at the end of the table).

Now that Microsoft has released Excel 2011, I'm hoping to gravitate my large database over to it since that's my native platform. I'm wondering whether anyone is aware of an add-in that can calculate medians within filtered tables for the Mac version.

More generally, is anyone familiar enough with both programs to opine as to whether the mac version is now as fully functional as the windows version?

Many thanks!

Let's assume a data area that you apply autofilter to and you want the median involving the range P5:P625...

Control+shift+enter, not just enter:

=MEDIAN(IF(SUBTOTAL(2,OFFSET(P5:P625,ROW(P5:P625)-ROW(P5:P625),,1)),P5:P625))

Have also a look at the AGGREGATE function.

Upvote 0
Thanks to both Aladin and Domenic. I'm assuming that both of these formulae would work on a specific filtered column. A couple of questions:

1. Can you tell me what the syntax of the formula means in "plain english"?
2. Is there a way to modify the formula so that it is "self-defining". i.e. it will cover the filtered range (e.g. B2:B100 or P5:P625) automatically, without my having to manually input the range coordinates?

Upvote 0
I'd try AGGREGATE as Aladin suggests

=AGGREGATE(12,5,range)

12 indicates median, 5 indicates that hidden rows are ignored. You can make range dynamic based on the number of values within the column.....

Upvote 0
Thanks to both Aladin and Domenic. I'm assuming that both of these formulae would work on a specific filtered column. A couple of questions:

1. Can you tell me what the syntax of the formula means in "plain english"?

Rum MEDIAN on cells that are visible under the filter condition.

2. Is there a way to modify the formula so that it is "self-defining". i.e. it will cover the filtered range (e.g. B2:B100 or P5:P625) automatically, without my having to manually input the range coordinates?

Not quite clear what you mean... If you want the range to be dynamic, convert the area into a table by selecting the are and running the Insert|Table commands.

Upvote 0
Aladin, houdini: Yes, the results are all within a table -- which is why I can filter them, but Median is not one of the functions available as a "summary" or total of the column, so far as I am aware. This is the fundamental problem I've been grappling with. Running median outside the table gives a median for all values within the column whether visible or not.

Houdini, can you explain what you mean by: You can make range dynamic based on the number of values within the column....."

Thanks!

Upvote 0
Aladin, houdini: Yes, the results are all within a table -- which is why I can filter them, but Median is not one of the functions available as a "summary" or total of the column, so far as I am aware. This is the fundamental problem I've been grappling with. Running median outside the table gives a median for all values within the column whether visible or not.

SUBTOTAL does not have the Median option, AGGREGATE does. The MEDIAN(IF(SUBTOTAL... and AGGREGATE formulas should yield the desired values.

Houdini, can you explain what you mean by: You can make range dynamic based on the number of values within the column.....

You can either define (a) a dynamic named range or (b) use an existing functionality. The latter is called the Table functionality: It consists of turning the data area into a table. After having done that, the formulas adjust themselves automatically to the changes in the data area. If you somehow want the former... If we assume a range in column P from P5 on as subject of the median calculation:

=AGGREGATE(12,5,P5:INDEX(P:P,MATCH(9.99999999999999E+307,P:P))

Upvote 0
This is greatt! And I see that Aggregate is a completely new function. Now that I understand the syntax, maybe the simplest thing is to simply name the range within the table and have the aggregate function refer to it.

Should I put the Aggregate function within the table (I think one can do that as an alternative to the standard pull-down summing formulae, or can it also rest outside the table?

SUBTOTAL does not have the Median option, AGGREGATE does. The MEDIAN(IF(SUBTOTAL... and AGGREGATE formulas should yield the desired values.

You can either define (a) a dynamic named range or (b) use an existing functionality. The latter is called the Table functionality: It consists of turning the data area into a table. After having done that, the formulas adjust themselves automatically to the changes in the data area. If you somehow want the former... If we assume a range in column P from P5 on as subject of the median calculation:

=AGGREGATE(12,5,P5:INDEX(P:P,MATCH(9.99999999999999E+307,P:P))

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Excel Master

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back