Merging Duplicates

mharper90

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. MacOS
I have a roster of people with names in column B and number data about them in columns H, I, J, K. Column A has a descriptor about the person. Everyone has the descriptor of "NO" in column A when they are added to the roster. If they are added again, they are given the descriptor in column A of "DPL".

Every so often I need to find all of the duplicate names, "DPL", and merge them with their initial entry, "NO". All of the corresponding number data in columns H, I, J, K should be summed and replace the values originally associated with the initial entry, "NO". Then the rows of duplicate entries, "DPL", should be deleted since the data has been merged.

I'm struggling to start this macro. Can someone give me a helping start? Thanks!

Excel Facts

Pivot Table Drill Down
Double-click any number in a pivot table to create a new report showing all detail rows that make up that number
Try this:-
Code:
[COLOR="Navy"]Sub[/COLOR] MG13Nov08
Private [COLOR="Navy"]Sub[/COLOR] CommandButton1_Click()
[COLOR="Navy"]Dim[/COLOR] Rng [COLOR="Navy"]As[/COLOR] Range, Dn [COLOR="Navy"]As[/COLOR] Range, n [COLOR="Navy"]As[/COLOR] [COLOR="Navy"]Long,[/COLOR] ac [COLOR="Navy"]As[/COLOR] [COLOR="Navy"]Long,[/COLOR] nRng [COLOR="Navy"]As[/COLOR] Range
[COLOR="Navy"]Set[/COLOR] Rng = Range(Range("B2"), Range("B" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp))
[COLOR="Navy"]With[/COLOR] CreateObject("scripting.dictionary")
.CompareMode = vbTextCompare
[COLOR="Navy"]For[/COLOR] [COLOR="Navy"]Each[/COLOR] Dn [COLOR="Navy"]In[/COLOR] Rng
  [COLOR="Navy"]If[/COLOR] Dn.Offset(, -1).Value = "NO" [COLOR="Navy"]Then[/COLOR]
        [COLOR="Navy"]Set[/COLOR] .Item(Dn.Value) = Dn
  [COLOR="Navy"]End[/COLOR] If
[COLOR="Navy"]Next[/COLOR] Dn

[COLOR="Navy"]For[/COLOR] [COLOR="Navy"]Each[/COLOR] Dn [COLOR="Navy"]In[/COLOR] Rng
    [COLOR="Navy"]If[/COLOR] Dn.Offset(, -1).Value = "DPL" [COLOR="Navy"]Then[/COLOR]
       [COLOR="Navy"]If[/COLOR] .exists(Dn.Value) [COLOR="Navy"]Then[/COLOR]
        [COLOR="Navy"]For[/COLOR] ac = 6 To 9
            .Item(Dn.Value).Offset(, ac) = .Item(Dn.Value).Offset(, ac) + Dn.Offset(, ac)
        [COLOR="Navy"]Next[/COLOR] ac
            [COLOR="Navy"]If[/COLOR] nRng [COLOR="Navy"]Is[/COLOR] Nothing [COLOR="Navy"]Then[/COLOR] [COLOR="Navy"]Set[/COLOR] nRng = Dn Else [COLOR="Navy"]Set[/COLOR] nRng = Union(nRng, Dn)
[COLOR="Navy"]Next[/COLOR] Dn

[COLOR="Navy"]If[/COLOR] Not nRng [COLOR="Navy"]Is[/COLOR] Nothing [COLOR="Navy"]Then[/COLOR] nRng.EntireRow.Delete
[COLOR="Navy"]End[/COLOR] With

[COLOR="Navy"]End[/COLOR] [COLOR="Navy"]Sub[/COLOR]
Regards Mick

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mcgeeaudrey

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back