Microsoft Word (2016) Printing comments with the name showing

Shiremaid

Board Regular
Is there any way, without a macro, to get Word to print the name with the comments rather than the initials (especially since it seems to put the inititals in backwords e.g. Tom Smith's inititials would show up as ST)

And is there any way to make sure all the comments are printing as sometimes it seems that replies to comments are not printing.

Some videos you may like

Excel Facts

What is the last column in Excel?
Excel columns run from A to Z, AA to AZ, AAA to XFD. The last column is XFD.

Macropod

Retired Moderator
There is no reason for initials to be reversed from whatever the commentators had Word configured to show; maybe one or more commentators has them reversed. As for full names instead of initials, that can only be done when the comments are added and only if the commentators have Word configured with their full name.

Shiremaid

Board Regular
I know that the users of some of the comments have their full name in there because when you are editing/reading the document it shows the full name in the comments. But it shortens it to initials when printing.
And although my name is set up as Jane Doe and my initials as JD, it appears as Doe, Jane when editing/reading the document and therefore as DJ when printing.

Jack in the UK

A wild shot

If the system is taking your name from the domain i.e. log in details, then yep could be like this. Often happen in AD and Email as someone's set search and surname first thus this is carried over

Set the names to show in two parts, i.e. First name then surname and concatenate/format as required

Your author is the name in the comments

Personalise your Microsoft Office box will have your name it in - try changing it

To do this
Click File > Options in Excel

In the Excel Options dialog box
Make sure you select "General" tab
Look for -
"Personalize your copy of Microsoft Office"

Now change the old name with what you want
Click the "OK"

Shiremaid

Board Regular
Ah ha, found a setting to use my personal settings regardless of sign in to Office. When I click that it displays my name and initials the way I have it set so it must have been pulling it from something our IT set up somewhere.
Thanks!

Jack in the UK

spot on yes "" Often happen in AD and Email as someone's set search and surname first """" This is the IT departments doing

Well done, glad your sorted - if things change back as sometimes they can thas IT refreshing global settings and it will always repeat the reset so you need to alter the setting and run the codes each time

jiuk

Watch MrExcel Video

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sukuto20

This Week's Hot Topics