MINIFS with vertical criteria #VALUE error

bigmyk2k

Board Regular
Hello,
I am trying to fill in data to a table that compiles the minimum value for a given month in a given year(eventually MAX, MEAN, and percentile values as well).

The data are in sheets labeled with a 3-letter abbreviation for the month, and arranged in columns by year. Thus, the data for March of 2015 will be in the column with the header "2015" on the sheet labeled "MAR".

The following formula (on sheet titled SUMMARY) executes correctly (per Evaluate Formula) but returns a #VALUE error

=MINIFS(INDIRECT(CONCATENATE(SUMMARY!$A3,"!$B$2:$J$32")),INDIRECT(CONCATENATE(SUMMARY!$A3,"!$B$1:$J$1")),SUMMARY!B$1)

For March 2015, this works out to:

=MINIFS(MAR!$B$2:$J$32,MAR!$B$1:$J$1,2015)

It gets to this point correctly, but he next step returns a #VALUE error, which leads me to believe that MINIFS can't do a vertical validation, but I believe that I have used vertical validation before.

Any thoughts?

Excel Facts

Back into an answer in Excel
Use Data, What-If Analysis, Goal Seek to find the correct input cell value to reach a desired result
The reason that's failing is because your ranges are not the same size. With MINIFS (in fact, all the ..IF.. functions) the value range and all the criteria ranges must be all the same size and shape. I think maybe you want something like this:

=MIN(INDEX(INDIRECT(SUMMARY!$A3&"!$B$2:$J$32"),0,MATCH(SUMMARY!B$1,INDIRECT(SUMMARY!$A3&"!$B$1:$J$1"),0)))

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbomb1414

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back