1. 2019
  2. 2010
  3. 2007
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi All,
the below is my formula and it works
Code:
=If(and(O84="Unavailable (Tagged Out)",E84=""),"Unavailable",If(and(O84="Unavailable (Tagged Out)",E84="Completed (Repairs completed, <b>Available</b> and safe to use)"),"Available", If(and(O84="Unavailable (Tagged Out)",E84="In-Progress (<b>Unavailable</b>, tagged out and not safe to use)"),"Unavailable", If(and(O84="Available (Not Tagged Out)" ,E84="Completed (Repairs completed, <b>Available</b> and safe to use)"),"Available", If(and(O84="Available (Not Tagged Out)" ,E84="In-Progress (<b>Unavailable</b>, tagged out and not safe to use)"),"Unavailable", If(and(O84="Available (Not Tagged Out)",E84=""),"Available" , "Available"))))))
Although now i need to add another "AND" statement (i think?) in and i cant get it to work. The addition is i need to check the date as well which is in column "G". Basically if the date = today then make it "Unavailable", otherwise continue on with the formula. Is this possible?

thanks for your help
Sam

Excel Facts

How to find 2nd largest value in a column?
MAX finds the largest value. =LARGE(A:A,2) will find the second largest. =SMALL(A:A,3) will find the third smallest
The addition is i need to check the date...

Basically if the date = today then make it "Unavailable", otherwise continue on with the formula.

The date .. is in column "G"

Try this....

Code:
=IF(G84=TODAY(),IF(AND(O84="Unavailable (Tagged Out)",E84=""),"Unavailable",IF(AND(O84="Unavailable (Tagged Out)",E84="Completed (Repairs completed, Available and safe to use)"),"Available", IF(AND(O84="Unavailable (Tagged Out)",E84="In-Progress (Unavailable, tagged out and not safe to use)"),"Unavailable", IF(AND(O84="Available (Not Tagged Out)",E84="Completed (Repairs completed, Available and safe to use)"),"Available", IF(AND(O84="Available (Not Tagged Out)",E84="In-Progress (Unavailable, tagged out and not safe to use)"),"Unavailable", IF(AND(O84="Available (Not Tagged Out)",E84=""),"Available", "Available")))))),"Unavailable")

Upvote 0
thanks for your help MartyS
it works correctly for some of the scenarios, although it give the wrong result for the other scenarios.
is it possible to have the today() for all scenarios?

Upvote 0
Hi...

I'm guessing you possibly mean something along the lines of:

Code:
=IF(AND(O84="Unavailable (Tagged Out)",E84="",G84=TODAY()),"Unavailable",IF(AND(G84=TODAY(),O84="Unavailable (Tagged Out)",E84="Completed (Repairs completed, Available and safe to use)"),"Available", IF(AND(G84=TODAY(),O84="Unavailable (Tagged Out)",E84="In-Progress (Unavailable, tagged out and not safe to use)"),"Unavailable", IF(AND(G84=TODAY(),O84="Available (Not Tagged Out)",E84="Completed (Repairs completed, Available and safe to use)"),"Available", IF(AND(G84=TODAY(),O84="Available (Not Tagged Out)",E84="In-Progress (Unavailable, tagged out and not safe to use)"),"Unavailable", IF(AND(G84=TODAY(),O84="Available (Not Tagged Out)",E84=""),"Available", "Available"))))))

If not, you'll need to be more specific

Upvote 0
I am not a fan of deeply nested IF statements like that. They're hard to read and maintain. Instead, let me offer a few alternatives.

ABC
1Unavailable (Tagged Out)Available (Not Tagged Out)
2(empty)UA
3Completed (Repairs completed, Available and safe to use)AA
4In-Progress (Unavailable, tagged out and not safe to use)UU
6UnavailableUnavailableUnavailable
7UnavailableUnavailable
10Column OColumn EResult
11Unavailable (Tagged Out)Unavailable
12Unavailable (Tagged Out)Completed (Repairs completed, Available and safe to use)Available
13Unavailable (Tagged Out)In-Progress (Unavailable, tagged out and not safe to use)Unavailable
14Available (Not Tagged Out)Available
15Available (Not Tagged Out)Completed (Repairs completed, Available and safe to use)Available
16Available (Not Tagged Out)In-Progress (Unavailable, tagged out and not safe to use)Unavailable

<tbody>
</tbody>
Sheet4

Worksheet Formulas
CellFormula
A6=IF(AND(O84="Unavailable (Tagged Out)",E84=""),"Unavailable",
IF(AND(O84="Unavailable (Tagged Out)",E84="Completed (Repairs completed, Available and safe to use)"),"Available",
IF(AND(O84="Unavailable (Tagged Out)",E84="In-Progress (Unavailable, tagged out and not safe to use)"),"Unavailable",
IF(AND(O84="Available (Not Tagged Out)",E84="Completed (Repairs completed, Available and safe to use)"),"Available",
IF(AND(O84="Available (Not Tagged Out)",E84="In-Progress (Unavailable, tagged out and not safe to use)"),"Unavailable",
IF(AND(O84="Available (Not Tagged Out)",E84=""),"Available",
"Available"
)
)
)
)
)
)
B6=IF(OR(E84="In-Progress (Unavailable, tagged out and not safe to use)",AND(O84="Unavailable (Tagged Out)",E84="")),"Unavailable","Available")
C6=IF(OR(G84=TODAY(),E84="In-Progress (Unavailable, tagged out and not safe to use)",AND(O84="Unavailable (Tagged Out)",E84="")),"Unavailable","Available")

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

Array Formulas
CellFormula
B7{=IFERROR(INDEX($C$11:$C$16,MATCH(O84&"|"&E84,$A$11:$A$16&"|"&$B$11:$B$16,0)),"Available")}
C7{=IF(G84=TODAY(),"Unavailable",IFERROR(INDEX($C$11:$C$16,MATCH(O84&"|"&E84,$A$11:$A$16&"|"&$B$11:$B$16,0)),"Available"))}

<tbody>
</tbody>
Entered with Ctrl+Shift+Enter. If entered correctly, Excel will surround with curly braces {}.
Note: Do not try and enter the {} manually yourself

<tbody>
</tbody>

Your formula is in A6 (with some line feeds for readibility). However, by dissecting the formula I constructed a truth table in A1:C4. Based on this table, there are only 3 combinations that generate "Unavailable". Both of the cases where O84="In-progress ...", and one where O84="" and E84 = "Available...". If we only check for those cases, we get the much shorter formula in B6. And from this formula, it's very easy to add the additional condition where if E84 = TODAY(), then it's "Unavailable".

We can also go another route. Create a list of all the combinations in A10:C16, with column C being the result you want. Then the B7 formula looks the combination up in the table and grabs the appropriate response. This is very easy to add or change the table, and the formula does not need to be changed at all. The updated formula with your additional condition is in C7.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
ive decided to go with the worksheet formula to reduce the length to make it easier for my brain to understand.
Code:
=IF(OR(G84=TODAY(),E84="In-Progress (Unavailable, tagged out and not safe to use)",AND(O84="Unavailable (Tagged Out)",E84="")),"Unavailable","Available")
This works although, if column B (in Eric's data example) is "Completed (Repairs completed, Available and safe to use)" and the date is in the past, the result of the formula is "unavailable". The result of the formula needs to be available as it is completed

So basically it needs to be made unavailable if its "Unavailable (Tagged Out)", and if the date is today, older or blank

hope that makes more sense
thanks

Upvote 0
I'm afraid I'm a bit confused, I don't understand what you want. The formula does not reference column B, did you mean E? Could you make a list of the possible combinations of values in E84, G84, and O84, like I did in A10:C16? You'll need to add another column for the date, with "Today", "older", and blank as options.

Upvote 0
Hi Eric,
I started this thread without my full attention, I wont be doing that again as it confuses the people that are trying to help me - i apologize

so below is a sample of my data...

Book1
EGOP
1Action StatusEstimated date when repairs will be completedStatus of the Vehicle/P&EFinal Status
2Available (Not Tagged Out)Available
3Date in the pastAvailable (Not Tagged Out)Unavailable
4Date in the futureAvailable (Not Tagged Out)Available
5Unavailable (Tagged Out)Unavailable
6Date in the pastUnavailable (Tagged Out)Unavailable
7Date in the futureUnavailable (Tagged Out)Unavailable
8Confirmed (Available, safe to use, although repairs to be completed)Available (Not Tagged Out)Available
9Confirmed (Available, safe to use, although repairs to be completed)Date in the pastAvailable (Not Tagged Out)Unavailable
10Confirmed (Available, safe to use, although repairs to be completed)Date in the futureAvailable (Not Tagged Out)Available
11Confirmed (Available, safe to use, although repairs to be completed)Unavailable (Tagged Out)Unavailable
12Confirmed (Available, safe to use, although repairs to be completed)Date in the pastUnavailable (Tagged Out)Unavailable
13Confirmed (Available, safe to use, although repairs to be completed)Date in the futureUnavailable (Tagged Out)Unavailable
14In-Progress (Unavailable, tagged out and not safe to use)Available (Not Tagged Out)Unavailable
15In-Progress (Unavailable, tagged out and not safe to use)Date in the pastAvailable (Not Tagged Out)Unavailable
16In-Progress (Unavailable, tagged out and not safe to use)Date in the futureAvailable (Not Tagged Out)Unavailable
17In-Progress (Unavailable, tagged out and not safe to use)Unavailable (Tagged Out)Unavailable
18In-Progress (Unavailable, tagged out and not safe to use)Date in the pastUnavailable (Tagged Out)Unavailable
19In-Progress (Unavailable, tagged out and not safe to use)Date in the futureUnavailable (Tagged Out)Unavailable
20Completed (Repairs completed,Available and safe to use)Available (Not Tagged Out)Available
21Completed (Repairs completed,Available and safe to use)Date in the pastAvailable (Not Tagged Out)Available
22Completed (Repairs completed,Available and safe to use)Date in the futureAvailable (Not Tagged Out)Available
23Completed (Repairs completed,Available and safe to use)Unavailable (Tagged Out)Available
24Completed (Repairs completed,Available and safe to use)Date in the pastUnavailable (Tagged Out)Available
25Completed (Repairs completed,Available and safe to use)Date in the futureUnavailable (Tagged Out)Available
Sheet2

So column "G" obviously has proper dates in there although didnt want to put dates as i wasnt sure if they would be valid when you looked at the data!
So column "P" is where i need the formula, although have shown what the outcome should be.

I think ive got all the scenarios, sorry if ive missed any scenarios
i know i didn't add the "Confirmed" status in my OP although confirmed status should always be "Available (Not Tagged Out)" although if we are going to do the formula i just put all the scenarios in just in case.

Just in case you are wondering about the "<b>Available</b>", the data is imported from a google sheet like that

again, I apologize for the confusion.
Appreciate your help
Sam

Upvote 0
OK, based on that table, I came up with this:

Code:
=IF(LEFT(E84,9)="Completed","Available",IF(LEFT(E84,11)="In-Progress","Unavailable",IF(LEFT(O84,11)="Unavailable","Unavailable",IF(OR(G84="",G84>=TODAY()),"Available","Unavailable"))))

By analyzing the table, I found these rules:
1) If E84 = "Completed ..." the result is always "Available."
2) If E84 = "In-Progress..." the result is always "Unavailable."
3) Otherwise, if O84 = "Unavailable" the result is always "Unavailable."
4) Otherwise, if G4 is empty or in the future, the result is "Available"
5) Otherwise, "Unavailable".

The formula above encompasses those rules. I also used LEFT to check for the cell values to shorten the formula. Let me know if this works for you.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sebas8956

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back