My custom list is >2,000 character - how can I custom sort this spreadsheet?

smatterchu

I have monthly reports that need to be sorted in an order other than ABC. I have the proper order of each product, and the list is 79 separate items/rows (over 2,500 characters). I tried to create/import a custom list and ran into the character limit.

How can I set up some sort of lookup table or data table to get these sorted properly? From the source data, I will be putting these into a pivot table. At what point, can I get these in the desired order?

Please use "small words" ;) I'm just getting back into the world of Excel, and I'm super-rusty with the past few versions. I haven't done much in years, but I'm enjoying re-learning it!

Thanks in advance for your help.

TL

Last edited:

Excel Facts

How to find 2nd largest value in a column?
MAX finds the largest value. =LARGE(A:A,2) will find the second largest. =SMALL(A:A,3) will find the third smallest
Hi Smatterchu, since you already have the list in order you can use the same principal as you used for your pivot table yesterday. With your list in order, just assign ascending numbers in the column next to it. Do a vlookup in a new column with your source data and sort by that column.

Custom List
april
aug
feb
jan
jul
jun
mar
may

<tbody>
</tbody>

Source
april
aug
aug
jun
may
jul
jun
feb
may

<tbody>
</tbody>

Upvote 0
I think you've done it again -- thanks!! I have figured out how to match the sort and rank the items in the new columnn. At this point, I'm just hoping I can figure out how to affect the sort in the pivot table.

Thanks so much -- TL

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aaagu

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back