N/A conditional field exclusion from simple formula?

pwrisley

What seems simple, is driving me crazy :biggrin:. In short, cell A4 contains conditional survey responses of YES, NO, N/A and the below formula then multiplies a weighting from cell F4 to compute a raw score in the cell. My problem is when N/A is selected in the dropdown in A4, it is treating it as a 0. Is there a way to NOT include N/A at all and only assign the typical Yes a 1 and No a 0? Sorry for the newbie question, learning is a process, ha-ha.

=IF(A4="Yes",1,0)*NUMBERVALUE(LEFT(F4,2))

Excel Facts

Is there a shortcut key for strikethrough?
Ctrl+S is used for Save. Ctrl+5 is used for Strikethrough. Why Ctrl+5? When you use hashmarks to count |||| is 4, strike through to mean 5.
What do you want to happen if it is N/A, your If is only testing and looking for YES, if it doesn't find that, which means anything else is present, then it gives a zero.

So you need to change your formula to test for both Yes, No and N/a, and then tell it what to do for each case.

Upvote 0
I'd like the N/A to not even be included in the calc? Put another way, I'd like the N/A to equal "nothing" I guess. Does that make sense?

Upvote 0
Sorry, let me repost, at work, trying to get this right, what I posted is off.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Unfortunately, it is the same result. The N/A option is still equating to 0 and impacting the score.

Upvote 0
Can you copy and paste the formula you have in your sheet as well sa the values from A4 and F4 in your sheet.

Based on what I understand of your description the formula I posted show look at A4 and if it is "Yes" it will multiple the left 2 numbers in F4 by 1.

If A4= "No" it will essentially give you a zero (0) as you said to multiple the left 2 numbers of F4 by zero.

If there is anything else in A4 it should come back with a blank cell, "".

I'm not sure why you would be getting a zero for "N/A" being in the field.

Are you sure you have "N/A" and A4 doesn't have an #N/A in it, as that is different than "N/A" being typed in A4.

Upvote 0
Formula in H4 is =IF(A4="Yes",1,0)*NUMBERVALUE(LEFT(F4,2))

Values in A4 are the data validation responses of YES, NO and N/A (not #N/A).

Value in F4 contains 4 options via data validation. I realize now that is crucial to the question so my apologies. In F4, there are the following 4 options...
4 - Critical
3 - High
2 - Medium
1 - Low

Sorry for the confusion.

Upvote 0
Well you don't have the formula I put out in post #5 in H4, so have you tried that to see if it works?

If you haven't tried it I would recommend starting there. If you have tried it then I am not sure why it wouldn't work, but based on my testing it should, follow-up with us and let us know, we can go from there once you try out the other formula.

Phil

Upvote 0
Is there a way to NOT include N/A at all and only assign the typical Yes a 1 and No a 0? Sorry for the newbie question, learning is a process, ha-ha.

=IF(A4="Yes",1,0)*NUMBERVALUE(LEFT(F4,2))

So, just to double check, are you multiplying a 'no' by 0? If so, then wouldn't you just need to check for yes?

Finally, is f4 stable, or does the value change with the line (A4,.F4; A5,F5; A6,F6) OR (A4,F4; A5,F4; A6,F4)

If not, does this work for you:

Code:
=IF(A6="yes",1*NUMBERVALUE(F6),IF(A6="no",SUM(2*NUMBERVALUE((F6))),))

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HellScout

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back