Need Excel 2k to auto-number using a prefix of my choosing

johnwc

Hi Mr. Excel Community,

I am working on a spreadsheet to track the results of manual software testing. Each spreadsheet contains many test cases, and each test case has a unique ID. The test case ID is used by formulas in the spreadsheet to generate statistical information. I would like to automate the generation of the test case ID to prevent problems with the statistics if a user forgets to enter the test case ID. Each ID has a prefix followed by a sequential number (e.g., BS-001). The prefix is the same for all test case IDs in a particular spreadsheet.

I want Excel to do the following:
1) Automatically generate a test case ID (D8), consisting of a prefix of any length and a 3 digit sufficx (i.e., 001 for D8) separated with a '-', when a user makes an entry in G8.
2) Prompt the user to input the prefix for the test case ID (i.e., "BS" from the example above), or use the prefix entered by the user in D8 for subsequent cells (e.g., D9, D10, D11, etc.).

In summary, I want Excel to automatically generate my test case IDs, using a user-defined prefix and standard three digit suffix, after a user makes an entry in an adjacent cell. The ID will look something like this for the first test case in a spreadsheet: "BS-001". Subsequent IDs would be BS-002, BS-003, etc.

Thank you in advance for any help you can lend.

Version: Excel 2000

Excel Facts

What is the fastest way to copy a formula?
If A2:A50000 contain data. Enter a formula in B2. Select B2. Double-click the Fill Handle and Excel will shoot the formula down to B50000.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Motoracer88

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back