Need Help with event

auto998

Hello,
I have been looking into this for awhile. I have a very basic knowledge with excel 2003.
I am trying to create a macro based on events. The event should be triggered as soon as the user leaves the cell by clicking on a different cell or by using the arrows on the keyboard. So if the user type SONY in cell A1, A2-A10 will be populated right on the spot automatically based on the word Sony, for example A2 will have electronic populated automatically, A3 will have <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Japan</st1:place></st1:country-region>...and so on <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
If the user enter GMC instead in cell A1, A2-A10 will be populated right on the spot automatically based on the word GMC. A2 will have Automaker populated automatically, A3 will have <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">USA</st1:place></st1:country-region>, ...and so on.
After I created a small VB sample it looks like I need to press the execute button every time to run the program in VB instead of triggering an event automatically.
Can you please help? Here is a small sample I am using to test:
<o:p></o:p>
Sub test()<o:p></o:p>
If Range("a1").Value = 10 Then<o:p></o:p>
Range("c1").Value = "Yes"<o:p></o:p>
Else<o:p></o:p>
Range("c1").Value = "No"<o:p></o:p>
End If<o:p></o:p>
End Sub

Excel Facts

Does the VLOOKUP table have to be sorted?
No! when you are using an exact match, the VLOOKUP table can be in any order. Best-selling items at the top is actually the best.
Hello and welcome to MrExcel.

You might want to look into VLOOKUP to do this sort of thing - see http://www.contextures.com/xlFunctions02.html

If you want to use code try this: right click the sheet tab, select View Code and paste in

Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
If Target.Address(False, False) = "A1" Then
    Application.EnableEvents = False
    Select Case LCase(Target.Value)
        Case "sony"
            Target.Offset(1).Value = "electronic"
            Target.Offset(2).Value = "Japan"
        Case "gmc"
            Target.Offset(1).Value = "automaker"
            Target.Offset(2).Value = "USA"
    End Select
    Application.EnableEvents = True
End If
End Sub

Then press ALT + Q to return to your sheet. Enter Sony in A1 - does the code do what you want?

Upvote 0
VoG,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
Thanks for taking the time to give me some help. VLOOKUP would not work because at some point I need to save the file as Tab Delimited and upload it into another system that would expect a certain format.<o:p></o:p>
As I mentioned I am not experienced in this area. The code did not work. I created a new excel file and I called it test then I pasted your code into VB editor...Then press ALT + Q to return to the sheet. When I entered Sony in A1...nothing happened. Anything I did wrong?<o:p></o:p>

Upvote 0
Peter's code does work. Did you follow his instructions on where to place it? Also, what difference does it make for future exporting, how the data arrives in the cells? I don't see that VLOOKUP would cause you a problem and, it is probably the way to go.

lenze
Edit: For a discussion of Events in Excel, see Chip's article here

Last edited:
Upvote 0
lenze,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
Thanks. It worked now. I did not right click on the sheet, instead I was going to Tools-Macro-VB editor, my fault.<o:p></o:p>
As far as VLOOKUP. The user will enter the data manually (type). When the file is ready, it will be saved as Tab Delimited and uploaded into the system that expects a certain format. Having the "VLOOKUP table" in the Tab Delimited file will cause an error....unless there is a way not to show the "VLOOKUP table" in the Tab Delimited file.............Thanks again for both of you <o:p></o:p>

Upvote 0
One more question. I have an excel (2003) file that have over 15,000 links to pics. Every cell has one link to a pic (www.pic.com). Is there an easy way to make those links to become pics. In other word every cell that has a link will replace the link with a pic?

Upvote 0
Hello, <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
Disregard my previous post, I am going to post it as a new thread, Sorry about that. Going back to my main issue, If I want to apply the event on the entire row 1. For example, if I type Sony anywhere in Row 1, could I have the output on the same column below it. Thanks

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Try

Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
If Target.Row = 1 Then
    Application.EnableEvents = False
    Select Case LCase(Target.Value)
        Case "sony"
            Target.Offset(1).Value = "electronic"
            Target.Offset(2).Value = "Japan"
        Case "gmc"
            Target.Offset(1).Value = "automaker"
            Target.Offset(2).Value = "USA"
    End Select
    Application.EnableEvents = True
End If
End Sub

Upvote 0
Thanks VoG. Is there a way to avoid using references and instead use the column or row name? Also, can I store the names of the columns or rows into variables and use them later instead. For example, Store column A name in a variable, Manufacture = A. So in the code instead of referencing to A, I’ll be using manufacture. Is this doable? Thanks again.

Upvote 0
You could create named ranges and refer to them in the code. However I'm really not sure why you would want to do this.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lunzwe73

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back