Need to change rounding so $192.50 is $192, not $193. And, $192.00 would need to stay $192.

lmbarnett

Hi all,

I'm working on a spreadsheet of income figures for a particular program (like, a public support program, not a computer program). In this program, we've got certain rules about rounding numbers. To keep it short, I need a way to make a $192.50 into $192, not $193. And I need $192.00 to stay $192. I need to be able to do this for both a calculated result via formula and a number that's simply typed in.

I hope this is clear.
I'm using Windows 7 and Excel 2010.

Thank you, thank you! The forum has already helped me turn negative numbers into just 0's.

Excel Facts

Format cells as currency
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+4 to format cells as currency. (Shift 4 is the $ sign).
Hi, welcome to the board.

First, are you SURE you want to do this ?
I believe that rounding 0.5 up to 1 is fairly standard practice.
But if you really do, here's one way (there are lots of other ways too, some probably better than this)

=IF(MOD(a1,1)=0.5,ROUNDDOWN(a1,0),ROUND(a1,0))

Upvote 0
Here's another way that simply removes an insignificant amount from the value prior to rounding:

=ROUND(A1-0.000001,0)
This returns 192 for 192.50 and 193 for 192.51.

Upvote 0
Armando - =INT(A1) will convert 192.6 to 192.
Which MIGHT be what is wanted, but I interpreted the OP as just concerning values ending in exactly 0.5, and in that case INT() would not be correct.
But re-reading the OP, it's not really that clear, so your interpretation may well be correct.
Anyway, just thought I should clarify what INT() does.

Upvote 0
Formating the number to 0 deicmal points will only display the number as you wish or you can use =round("cell ref", 0)

Upvote 0
Thank you all for your help.

I'm going to be away from my desk for a few days but will surely use your tips upon my return. I'll update everyone on how it works.

And, yep, I really do want to go with the non-standard rounding conventions as per the quirky program policy. :)

Best,
Lindsey

Upvote 0
Oh, and for what its worth, the number will always be $###.50 or $###.00, no other numbers will be in the mix.

Thanks! Sorry I didn't specify that in the initial request!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gwguy

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back