Need VBA Help!

Bailey589

I have a spreadsheet (I can upload it here, but I don't know how to do it...) where Sheet1 A1:A4 are drop down lists that allow users to select various shapes ("", Square, Circle, Triangle, Rectangle). On Sheet2 I have the same 5 options listed from A1:A5. I also have images of these shapes in B1:D5 where the color of the images in column B is black, C is red, and D is green. The cells with the "images" of the "" option are all blank. I created dynamic images in Sheet1 B1:B4 that are all named Shape1 - Shape4 by row. I also have a function in Sheet1 C1 that is randbetween(2,4).

The equation in the name manager for Shape1 is: =INDEX(Sheet2!$A$1:$D$5,MATCH(Sheet1!$A$1,Sheet2!$A$1:$A$5,0),Sheet1!$C$1)
Shapes 2-4 are all the same except for the first part of the match function.

My Question: I want to delete the randbetween in the Sheet1 C1 and have a macro that will generate a random number between 2 & 4, and then subsequently update all of the dynamic images. How do I do this?

The reason for this is speed. I have another spreadsheet that is just a more elaborate version of this with many more dynamic images, and a much larger matrix of images in Sheet2. I have a feeling that I can speed up the generation of the random number and updating of all of the images if I use VBA (as of now if I put a random value in C1 it will update the dynamic images in a couple of seconds). I'm not positive but I think that using VBA excel can look at the entire matrix of images once, create the nonvolatile random number, and update all of the dynamic images pretty quickly. I understand that some functions are faster/slower than others (why I use the index/match here instead of indirect or maybe vlookup would work), but don't really understand why or how VBA can help with that.

I'm not an expert at VBA, but I have a basic understanding of what is going on. I'm looking for any suggestions on how to update the dynamic images or any broader suggestions that might speed up a spreadsheet like this one. Any ideas are appreciated. Thanks!

Excel Facts

Select all contiguous cells
Pressing Ctrl+* (asterisk) will select the "current region" - all contiguous cells in all directions.
I wont be solving this as I dont have enough time but FYI

You cant attach files on this forum. There are tools on this forum for adding small spreadsheet images

Attachments

Or upload the file to an online storage site and post a link to it, though some people may not download the file for fear of viruses.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the heads up on the attachments Special-K99, I know you don't have time to solve it but do you have any quick thoughts on maybe some starting places? If not thanks anyways for the help!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chestertim

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back