Nested IF with VLOOKUP functions

ifu06416

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Hello,

Im trying to build a function that will pull one of 4 possible dates from a table. Ive managed to build a formula that will pull through 2 dates but i cannot figure out how to add the other 2 dates.

I have four columns which may or may not have a date in them. These dates are in a hierarchy with whatever date is in the column farthest to the right taking precedent over the others. Im trying to build a function that will look through each of these columns returning the date from the column furthest to the right.</SPAN>

So far i have got the following but it only considers the first two columns.

IF(VLOOKUP(B9,'[XXX.xlsx]Loans'!$P:$BI,18,0)="",VLOOKUP(B9,'[XXX.xlsx]Loans'!$P:$BI,28,0),VLOOKUP(B9,'[XXX.xlsx]Loans'!$P:$BI,18,0))

Can anyone help modify this to include the two remaining columns which are numbered 38 and 46 on the VLOOKUP table.

Thank you

John

Excel Facts

Easy bullets in Excel
If you have a numeric keypad, press Alt+7 on numeric keypad to type a bullet in Excel.
I think I have it like you want it.
If not, it shouldn't take much alterations...

If I understand you correctly, you would rather have the far right answer.
( That is how I set up the formula )
Also, I am assuming that you would like it to be blank until there is an answer...

Try this;

=IF(VLOOKUP(B9,[XXX.xlsx]Loans!$P:$BI,46,0)="",IF(VLOOKUP(B9,[XXX.xlsx]Loans!$P:$BI,38,0)="",IF(VLOOKUP(B9,[XXX.xlsx]Loans!$P:$BI,28,0)="",IF(VLOOKUP(B9,[XXX.xlsx]Loans!$P:$BI,18,0)="",VLOOKUP(B9,[XXX.xlsx]Loans!$P:$BI,18,0)),VLOOKUP(B9,[XXX.xlsx]Loans!$P:$BI,28,0)),VLOOKUP(B9,[XXX.xlsx]Loans!$P:$BI,38,0)),VLOOKUP(B9,[XXX.xlsx]Loans!$P:$BI,46,0))

Basically that is putting an IF formula inside an IF formula inside an IF formula inside an IF formula... :)
Chris Mc.

Upvote 0
Ahhh, excellent.

You've understood me just right. Looking at it now it makes more sense but trying to get there from scratch just wasnt working.

Thanks for the help.

John

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Subhash Chand

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back