Nth character in a string - parsing a shortcut

schatham

I have an Excel sheet with lots of shortcuts in the first column. It's the entire shortcut, including the .lnk extension.

What I need to do is to be able to parse out the string to make the shortcut human readable when I create the hyperlink. I'm saving the output as HTML for a user to open these shortcuts. It's on an internal LAN & secure. Using various versions of Excel (2010, 2007 & 2003, predominately the first).

Trying to make an ugly, 140+ character shortcut into a more readable form for web navigation purposes.

Up to a point, the shortcuts are similar:
\\a123\me\work\folder1\folder2\folder3\shortcut1.lnk
\\a123\me\work\folder1\folder4\folder5\shortcut1.lnk
\\a123\me\work\folder1\folder6\folder7\shortcut1.lnk
\\a123\me\work\folder1\folder8\folder9\shortcut1.lnk

but, later on, they vary from that point out.

\\a123\me\work\folder1\folder10\folder10A\folder11\shortcut1.lnk
\\a123\me\work\folder1\folder_12\folder12A\folder12B\shortcut1.lnk

The strings are the same up to the 7th occurrence of the "\" character, but after that, the foldernames start to change & the shortcut may be down a level (an extra folder) or more. Also, the lengths of the strings change as well, so I can only do positional parsing up to a point.

If possible, I would like to try to do this without doing VBA, but will if that's the only way it can be done.

I'd appreciate any guidance or input.
Thanks!

Excel Facts

Control Word Wrap
Press Alt+Enter to move to a new row in a cell. Lets you control where the words wrap.
Thank you. I still haven't quite gotten it resolved yet, but am much further along.

The issues I'm dealing with now are due to different levels in the remaining folders, the fact that some of them have duplicate folder/sub-folder names (or partially duplicated), parsing beyond the 3rd or 4th remaining "\" and monitoring for numeric vs blank on some cells I'm doing a search on.

Upvote 0
Thank you. I still haven't quite gotten it resolved yet, but am much further along.

The issues I'm dealing with now are due to different levels in the remaining folders, the fact that some of them have duplicate folder/sub-folder names (or partially duplicated), parsing beyond the 3rd or 4th remaining "\" and monitoring for numeric vs blank on some cells I'm doing a search on.

Upvote 0

Can you post several examples of the text you are dealing with (that shows off the above problem) and then show us what you want the formula to return for each of them? Doing that will be much better than trying to describe it in words (you know, a "picture" is worth a thousand words).

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ravioli44

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back