OFFSET AND FIND function in one

thestones757

Hey all-

I am setting up a workbook with multiple sheets to be a template used in the future. The first: "Providers" has the provider and insurance policy listed for every scenario. On a later sheet: "Individual", I am trying to sum data from a different sheet. In order to do this, I need to represent the different individual insurances on the "Individual" tab. Since there are multiple providers for the same insurance, I am trying to take out the duplicates. In order to represent this I equate A2 in "Individual" to =Providers!B3 because this is the first insurance company. Now I am trying to get the next one (further down the column) but not use any of the duplicates or it will mess up the totals from the data used in a different tab. I am having a very tough time with this, the problem is I want to find A2 and then offset until it is not a duplicate, so I think I am incorporating a FIND or MATCH function as the reference for an OFFSET function but what I am doing is not working. Here is what I tried but it did not work:

A3=OFFSET(MATCH(A2,Providers!$A$3:$A$500,FALSE),1,0,1,1)
and so on...

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Excel Facts

Excel motto
Not everything I do at work revolves around Excel. Only the fun parts.
Hey all-

I am setting up a workbook with multiple sheets to be a template used in the future. The first: "Providers" has the provider and insurance policy listed for every scenario. On a later sheet: "Individual", I am trying to sum data from a different sheet. In order to do this, I need to represent the different individual insurances on the "Individual" tab. Since there are multiple providers for the same insurance, I am trying to take out the duplicates. In order to represent this I equate A2 in "Individual" to =Providers!B3 because this is the first insurance company. Now I am trying to get the next one (further down the column) but not use any of the duplicates or it will mess up the totals from the data used in a different tab. I am having a very tough time with this, the problem is I want to find A2 and then offset until it is not a duplicate, so I think I am incorporating a FIND or MATCH function as the reference for an OFFSET function but what I am doing is not working. Here is what I tried but it did not work:

and so on...

Is this what you are after?...

A3, control+shift+enter, not just enter:

=IF(ROWS($A$3:A3)<=COUNTIF(Providers!$A$3:$A$500,$A$2),INDEX(Providers!$A$3:$A$500,SMALL(IF(Providers!$A$3:$A$500=$A$2,ROW(Providers!$A$3:$A$500)-ROW(Providers!$A$3)+1),ROWS($A$3:A3))),"")

Upvote 0
Great to see you back on and giving me advice again! It seems pretty complex for me right now so I tried just copying and pasting (control+****+enter) but it would not give me what I wanted, one thing I thought looked interesting is that two instances of $A$3:A3, is this really supposed to start as this location or is it intended to start at A2?

Thanks for your help I really hope you can help me figure this out!

Upvote 0
Specifically, I am thinking if we count the previous (cell above) like you had in the array from the "Providers" tab with a countif equation and if that is less than or equal to one we can OFFSET by 1 row (since it is singular we would only need to offset one row). However, if the countif equation is greater than one (it is listed more than once) than we need to OFFSET by the # returned by the countif equation.

Do you think something like this could work?

Upvote 0
Great to see you back on and giving me advice again! It seems pretty complex for me right now so I tried just copying and pasting (control+****+enter) but it would not give me what I wanted, one thing I thought looked interesting is that two instances of $A$3:A3, is this really supposed to start as this location or is it intended to start at A2?

Thanks for your help I really hope you can help me figure this out!

The formula is supposed to return all instances of A2, the lookup value.

It must be entered in A3. ROWS($A$3:A3) gives 1, ROWS($A$3:A4) gives 2, and so on.

Upvote 0
Hey all-

and so on...

Maybe this is what you're after:

http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2696961&postcount=3

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Healthydogs

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back