Opening a linked image popup upon mouse rollover?

wzxchange

Hello everyone,

I've been having trouble trying to figure this out, and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Right now, I have a map of the United States made up of shapes linking to a dataset (i.e.: when sales are $X and above in state XYZ -> color blue). I'm thinking creating a popup of some sort that will show a brief summary when the user rolls his or her mouse over the shape (showing sales/COGS/gross margin). Then, if the person is interested in a higher level of detail, the image will link to a worksheet dedicated to that particular state (showing sales/COGS/gross margin/SG&A/profit/employees/etc.)

I have been unable to find any guidance on creating the popup on the shapes. Since the data changes often, I'm hoping to be able to insert a linked image to the "brief summaries" if possible. It would be really tough to update images for every state, not to mention the possibility of missing out on some.

If there's a workaround rather than a macro, I'd feel a lot more comfortable. But I'm willing to try anything!

Thanks in advance for your assistance!

Excel Facts

Save Often
If you start asking yourself if now is a good time to save your Excel workbook, the answer is Yes
Just a thought, but I can put a comment in a cell under a shape and "mouse over" the shape will pop the comment.
You can also put images in the comment as the background, if that suited your fancy.
Getting commented cells aligned to shapes may be a pain. The states aren't exactly rectangular, but the cells, made small enough, could create an underlying grid.

I don't know how you'll achieve automation with shapes and comments without venturing into vba.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erald

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back