Order rows and then hide rows that I don't need

StanAalbers

Board Regular
Dear all,

I have a code that is working, but it takes a lot of time with ± 6,000 rows and this is merely the test run...
Question is: is there a more efficient way and when not, can I make the actions invisible so that the user doesn't go into anaphylactic shock while the report is running...

Cells A12 - Q.... contains my table with shipment information. The user can select the following:
C4 = the appropriate center it needs to display (Validation list)
C6 = week nr
c8 = sort by (delivery accuracy, concerns etc.)

This is my code:

Code:
Sub sort()
'Hide all the rows
Range("13:65536").EntireRow.Hidden = False
Dim c As Long
    Select Case UCase(Range("c8").Value)
        Case "CLAIMS"
            c = 13
        Case "DELIVERY ON TIME"
            c = 14
        Case "P/U CONCERNS"
            c = 15
        Case Else
            c = 16
    End Select
    If c > 0 Then
    Range("a12:p" & Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row).sort Key1:=Cells(2, c), Order1:=xlAscending, Header:=xlGuess, _
    OrderCustom:=1, Orientation:=xlTopToBottom
    End If
    hide_unwanted
    End Sub
Sub hide_unwanted()
Range("13:65536").EntireRow.Hidden = True
'Hide all the rows that are not part of this center
Dim center As Range
[B]Set center = Range("Q12:Q6000")[/B]
For Each cell In center
   If cell <> "" Then
   If cell.Value = Range("c4") & Range("c6") Then
    cell.EntireRow.Hidden = False
    End If
    End If
    Next cell
End Sub

Additional comment I: can I combine the sorting with a choice between Ascending and Descending? Couldn't get that one to work...
Additional comment II: the bold statement is now static, but it didn't seem to work when I made it flexible as in the "select-code", don't know why.

Thx in advance

Excel Facts

Does the VLOOKUP table have to be sorted?
No! when you are using an exact match, the VLOOKUP table can be in any order. Best-selling items at the top is actually the best.
Stan

I've had to take a few guesses about just what is in your sheet and what you are trying to do. However, a couple of general comments:

a) It is not a good idea to name a sub (or variable) using one of vba's reserved words (eg Sub sort())

b) Using AutoFilter will be a lot faster than looping through the rows individually.

Give this a try in a copy of your workbook.

First manually unhide all the rows, then try the code below.

<font face=Courier New><br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN> SortAndHide()<br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> c <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Long</SPAN><br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> center <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> Range<br>    <br>    Application.ScreenUpdating = <SPAN style="color:#00007F">False</SPAN><br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Set</SPAN> center = Range("Q12:Q" & Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row)<br>    center.AutoFilter Field:=1<br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Select</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Case</SPAN> UCase(Range("c8").Value)<br>        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Case</SPAN> "CLAIMS"<br>            c = 13<br>        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Case</SPAN> "DELIVERY ON TIME"<br>            c = 14<br>        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Case</SPAN> "P/U CONCERNS"<br>            c = 15<br>        Case <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Else</SPAN><br>            c = 16<br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Select</SPAN><br>    Range("A12:Q" & Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row).sort _<br>        Key1:=Cells(12, c), Order1:=xlAscending, Header:=xlYes, _<br>        OrderCustom:=1, Orientation:=xlTopToBottom<br><br>    center.AutoFilter Field:=1, Criteria1:=Range("C4").Value & Range("C6").Value<br>    <br>    Application.ScreenUpdating = <SPAN style="color:#00007F">True</SPAN><br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN><br></FONT>

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chase S

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back