Page Format for Password Sheet

cm1smith

Not sure if you need this but here is my info: computer: custom build - Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8400 CPU @ 2.80GHz, 2808 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 6 Logical Processor(s); Memory - 16GB DDR4-3000; Video - Radeon RX480 8GB; Storage - Intel 600p Series 1TB M.s-2280 SSD and 500GB SSD 2.5"; OS - MS Windows 10 Pro 64bit; MS Office 2016

I am updating my password spreadsheet and want to move it into the 21st century. I have been using this spreadsheet for years and want to update it and create a new one. My old sheet had 4 columns (SITE, LOGON, PASSWORD & WEB ADDRESS) with the top row in bold and centered with a box around it. Then I would enter my info onto a different row and go on from there. I tried to make a section for specific sites (for example: BILLS) and I would create a row with "BILLS" in the first column and then move to the new row and hit the spacebar 3 times to indent the site name (example: ABC Bank) then tab to next column enter LOGON info and so on. I would go to the next row on do the same until I entered all of the sites. I would then enter the next site normally. I did it this way all though out my sheet. I would have most sites justified to the left until I wanted to create a new section again like MEDICAL and then I would do the NAME and then go to next row and then hit the spacebar 3 times and repeat as needed. After I got done with entering/updating the info I tried to create bold line/boxes around the different sections and the boarder of the spreadsheet. I would do this by selecting an area and then use the "Format Cells > Border" to create the boarder/box/lines around the info. If I needed to add more rows, I would go to the row after where I wanted it inserted and right click and Insert and new row. As you can imagine, this messed up my format and I would have to go back in and try to fix it.

Here is what I am trying to do:
1. create a new spreadsheet
2. have the 4 columns
3. have a bold outline around the entire sheet
4. have the 1st row cells in Bold, Centered with a bold box around each cell
5. have each line in each row a slight dark line
6. be able to create a section for different groups of sites like: Bills, Medical, School classes. etc.
7. have the name of the section in its own row, with a bold box around the whole row, and the inside divider lines removed
8. have the site name indented 3 spaces for each site that is in each section
9. be able to insert a new site and have it format to what area/section it was inserted. Example: when it is inserted as a normal site it has the bold lines at the start & end of the row with the inside normal darkness. If inserted into a section, it would indent the site name and format as needed.
10. have the top row frozen and printed on each sheet printed (I think I have this)

Here is a screenshot of what I am trying to do(I HOPE)

ABCD
1SITELOGONPASSWORDWEB ADDRESS
2MrExcel.comtestname12345678www.mrexcel.com
3home center1testname987654www.homecenter.test
4BILLS
5 abc bank2testname345678www.abcbanl.test
6 water3testname876543
7Dr. testname4testname456789
8computer build5testname23232323
9food store6testname876545676www.foodstore.test

<colgroup><col><col><col><col><col></colgroup><thead>
</thead><tbody>
</tbody>
Sheet1

I know that I am forgetting something, but chock it up to OLD but getting YOUNGER each day :LOL:

Thanks,
Smitty

Excel Facts

Copy PDF to Excel
Select data in PDF. Paste to Microsoft Word. Copy from Word and paste to Excel.
I would recommend instead of using spaces for indent, you use another column. Put section headings in column A and site names in column B. (or B and C if you want row numbers in column A?) You can make the column with the section headers very narrow, and as long as wrap-text is turned off and the next cell (column C) is blank, the section name will spill over. Then you have a slight indent and you don't have to worry about putting spaces in the cells with the site names. (I think adding spaces could probably be done with VBA, but I doubt it's worth the effort).

For borders:
I'm running Excel 2010 and if I format borders as you describe (thick box borders around sections, thin lines for each row), and then insert a row into the middle somewhere, it keeps my borders intact. What's happening to your formatting when you add a row?

If you're having trouble getting your borders set up in the first place, I recommend playing with the "more borders" option (last choice in the drop-down button for borders).

Upvote 0
I would recommend instead of using spaces for indent, you use another column. Put section headings in column A and site names in column B. (or B and C if you want row numbers in column A?) You can make the column with the section headers very narrow, and as long as wrap-text is turned off and the next cell (column C) is blank, the section name will spill over. Then you have a slight indent and you don't have to worry about putting spaces in the cells with the site names. (I think adding spaces could probably be done with VBA, but I doubt it's worth the effort).

For borders:
I'm running Excel 2010 and if I format borders as you describe (thick box borders around sections, thin lines for each row), and then insert a row into the middle somewhere, it keeps my borders intact. What's happening to your formatting when you add a row?

If you're having trouble getting your borders set up in the first place, I recommend playing with the "more borders" option (last choice in the drop-down button for borders).

Thanks, I'll give it a try in the morning and let you know how it go.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peppernaut

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back