Partial Match with value returned

justxan

I have two columns of data: Column A = Account Numbers, Column B= Transaction Description with Account Number

They cannot be sorted to match and they are not in any particular order.

I need to match column A to the correct description in column B, and preferably have the matching account number from column A inserted into a new column C.

Here's an example of what I have and the end result I need:

Before:

ACCOUNT
TRANSACTION
EARLY W/D 7189202

<tbody>
</tbody>
REG W/D 31415161

<tbody>
</tbody>
TFRN DB

<tbody>
</tbody>
TRANSFER 12345678

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

<colgroup><col><col></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

After:

ACCOUNT
TRANSACTION Results
EARLY W/D 7189202

<tbody>
</tbody>
REG W/D 31415161

<tbody>
</tbody>
TFRN DB

<tbody>
</tbody>
No Match
TRANSFER 12345678

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

<colgroup><col><col></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

I have tried different vlookups and index-match formulas with no results. Please help...! :(

Excel Facts

Can you AutoAverage in Excel?
There is a drop-down next to the AutoSum symbol. Open the drop-down to choose AVERAGE, COUNT, MAX, or MIN
Assuming your 1st transaction listed as "EARLY W/D 7189202" has a typo and should be "EARLY W/D 71819202"
Try:
Code:
=IFERROR(VLOOKUP(--RIGHT(B2,8),A:A,1,FALSE),"No Match")

The -- (minus minus) preceding RIGHT is to coerce the text returned into a value.

Upvote 0
Assuming your 1st transaction listed as "EARLY W/D 7189202" has a typo and should be "EARLY W/D 71819202"
Try:
Code:
=IFERROR(VLOOKUP(--RIGHT(B2,8),A:A,1,FALSE),"No Match")

The -- (minus minus) preceding RIGHT is to coerce the text returned into a value.

Thanks so much for the response, I appreciate it. My apologies as well for the typo.

I tried the formula and it sort of works, but sort of doesn't. For example, some of the results return the correct account number, but others do not even though a valid account number in column A is present.

In the formula, (B2,8)-- I'm assuming the 8 is the character length of the account number. Would this affect the results if the length of the transaction description is long or short (i.e. "Acct Xfer 12345678" vs. Account Transfer 12345678")?

Upvote 0
The 8 will give you the last 8 characters. As long as the account# is always 8 characters you should be fine. Can you post the example of the ones that did not work?

Upvote 0
Also for the ones that did not work, use the 'Evaluate Formula' button in the formulas ribbon to see why and where it is failing.

Upvote 0
Also for the ones that did not work, use the 'Evaluate Formula' button in the formulas ribbon to see why and where it is failing.

After looking at it again, the lines didn't match because of typos. The accounts that didn't match look similar but actually have transposed or missing numbers. After sorting it all, everything worked out beautifully. I'm able to eliminate hours of manual research. Thanks so much!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
burk0007

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back