Pivot Table | Calculated Field | Using an Average Rather Than a Sum

jeffgibson55

I am building pivot tables off a data table that includes orders for training events ('Order Table'). In this table each row signifies 1 order. Each event has a unique event ID, so in this table there are usually several rows for the same event (1 for each order the event had). For each order there are various columns that contain demographic fields about each order.

The events are broken into various topical groups and my pivot tables are being used to analyze each of these groupings. Within the 'Order Table' I am doing a vlookup to an external table to determine how many events have been held for each topical group being analyzed. So since an event has a row for every order it got, this reference number repeats itself in each row. This is not a problem when I'm pulling in the raw "events held" number because I just use an Average function which essentially removes the impact of the duplicates.

But I also need to do some calculated fields using this average value as the denominator (e.g., orders per event held). But when I do a calculated field it automatically uses the sum value not the average value and I don't see how you can change that.

Does this make sense? Basically I need to do a calculated field within a pivot table that uses the average rather than the sum in performing the calculation.

Any help would be very much appreciated as I seem to run into this situation a lot and in the past I've ended up just doing the calculations outside the pivot table but referencing cells in the pivot table which is very messy.

Thanks,
Jeff

Excel Facts

Using Function Arguments with nested formulas
If writing INDEX in Func. Arguments, type MATCH(. Use the mouse to click inside MATCH in the formula bar. Dialog switches to MATCH.
If you have the average field in your data source, is that column or row included in the pivot table's data source?

There is an option to average with in the pivot table. In teh Pivot Table Field List on the right, click the drop down for Sum - Select Value Field Settings - change to average

Upvote 0
My question is in regard to adding a calculated field where the custom formula would reference an average value.

Upvote 0
Hi,

You can set any field to Sum, Count, Average, Max, Min, etc.. using the Value Field Settings. Doing it here does an average of the records you are looking at in the pivot table.

I believe that Calcuated Fields in PivotTables can only do math on the "columns" in the source data. So if your source data has columns Num1, Num2, Num3, you can create a calcualted field called "Avg Num" with the formula "=average('Num1','Num2','Num3')" which provides an average of those numbers. It does show as a "Sum of Avg Num", but each "row" in the pivot table is an average of those three numbers. I don't believe you can "reference" anything in a calculated field that is not a defined "column" in your source data.

Any chance you could provide a simplified screenshot of an example of what you are trying to do (a picture is worth a thosand words).

Thanks,
Byron

Upvote 0
Thanks guys, here's a simplified screenshot - I hope it makes sense. I'm not sure of the best way to insert an image here but here's a link to the pic hosted at photobucket:
quasi55

http://s1140.photobucket.com/albums/n563/quasi55/?action=view&current=ExcelQuestion-UsingAveragesinPivotTableCalculatedFields.jpg

Thanks again for the help!

Jeff

Upvote 0
Hi Jeff,

I've re-created your sample data and pivot table. I'm not clear on what your manual formulas are. Please provide.

Thanks,
Byron

Upvote 0
Sorry, the manual formulas are:
A: 23,762 / 10 = 2,376
B: 15,505 / 5 = 3,101
C: 12,844 / 4 = 3,211

These are the results that I want to achieve within the pivot table itself somehow.

Thanks!
Jeff

Upvote 0
The source of your problem seems to be that Events Held is unique to each Topic (e.g. Topic A has had 10 Events) and it gets SUM'd up. When what you really need is Events Held as a single static number. As far as I know, Calculated Fields are only able to do calculations on the "Sum" of the fields you select. So as long as there are more than 1 row with the number of Events Held, it is going to get summed.

The only workaround I can think of off the top of my head is to clean up the source data so that there is only one row with the Event Held number for each Topic:

5b5td.jpg

Then you can divide the sum of the visits from the sum of the events held correctly

Upvote 0
Hey Jeff, Is the snapshot of your data correct? That is are there really only 4 rows for Topic A? If there really are 10 rows (10 Events with Event IDs) for Topic A, then have a column with "1" in it and sum it up. It would look something like this:

wlr8de.jpg

Just brainstorming here. Hope it helps.

Cheers,
Byron

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Emilou

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back