5ObtainVery1
6TakeNot at all1
7PersonalSucessful1
8ImproveSuccessful1
9ObtainVery successful1
10ObtainNot at all2

<tbody>
</tbody>

When make a pivot table with Q1 in rows, Count of ID in values, and Group in filters, I can set the "Field Settings" for the Q1 to show all items with no data, and display 0 for empty items. This means that a graph made from this data will always show all Q1 values, and Q1 only, even if they contain no data. For instance, filter the pivot table by Group 2, and all 5 Q1 answers display, four of which have 0.

If I have the same data like this, a proper data set:

QuestionIDResponseGroup
Q11Explore1
Q21Not at all1
Q12Personal1
Q22Somewhat1
Q13Take1
Q23Very1
Q14Obtain1
Q24Very1
Q15Obtain1
Q25Very1
Q16Take1
Q26Not at all1
Q17Personal1
Q27Successful1
Q18Improve1
Q28Successful1
Q19Obtain1
Q29Very1
Q110Obtain2
Q210Not at all2

<tbody>
</tbody>

When make a pivot table with Response in rows, Count of ID in values, and Group and Question in filters, setting the "Field Settings" for the Response to show all items with no data does not limit the list to the Question selected in the filter. It displays all responses with no data, including those unrelated to the filtered question, which ruins the graph.

I am unaware of a workaround. Any ideas?

Thank you!

Excel Facts

How to fill five years of quarters?
Type 1Q-2023 in a cell. Grab the fill handle and drag down or right. After 4Q-2023, Excel will jump to 1Q-2024. Dash can be any character.
Hi dlwEarl,

I'm not aware of a simple setting or option to achieve your objective. Here's one workaround that is a little kludgy, but might serve your purpose.

Add a field (I'll refer to as "SumField") to your source dataset that has the number 1 in each cell that can be used to summarize your data by Sum instead of Count.

Add dummy records at the top of your dataset in which each record represents a single Question-Response-Group combination. The set of dummy records should cover all the valid Question-Response-Group combinations. For each dummy record, place an insignificantly small fraction in the SumField (e.g. 0.0001).

In your PivotTable's field settings, uncheck the option to "Show items with no data".

With this setup, I think you can create Pivot Charts that display the only the valid combinations of Question-Responses for a group, and the "Sum" values for the "not used" items will be a small fraction that can be rounded to zero through number formatting.

While the idea of adding dummy rows to the top of the dataset might be undesirable, I think something like that is necessary for any workaround if the responses from a pool of users answering these questions doesn't include every valid combination.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ravioli44

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back