Pivot Tables are changing their source data and I have no idea how.

gvsumich

Hello All,

I have a file that has multiple pivot tables built off of 1 source data. The pivots are on multiple tabs with some tabs having multiple pivot tables. Every pivot table referenced the same data source: 'PROMO PLAN - DATA'!$B$3:$EF$3993. We will make updates to the data source that flow through to the pivots, but they are simple changes such as text or number updates in specific cells.

So here's the issue, I have a co-worker that is not the easiest to work with when they are using excel. Somehow, after my coworker was working in the file every single pivot table had its source data changed to: 'PROMO PLAN - DATA'!$AH$2560:$AL$2560 and now the pivots can no longer be refreshed. I am baffled as to how this happened, because there is NO WAY they went through and changed the source data on each pivot table (this person does not even know what "Change Data Source" is or where it is located in excel).

They were unable to explain to me what exactly they were doing in the file to cause this to happen. Looking for some help as to what would cause multiple pivot tables to have their data source changed without using the "Change Data Source" function? All the data is there, just the source data was changed. I know deleted rows and data can affect the data source, but all the data is still there. He was copying some data from a secondary file (the same file he was working in, just copying updates he was doing). I don't think this was the issue but honestly I don't know.

Please help! How can the pivot table source data change from a wide data source that I set to some random 5 cells in a single row? It just doesn't make any sense.

Excel Facts

VLOOKUP to Left?
Use =VLOOKUP(A2,CHOOSE({1,2},$Z$1:$Z$99,$Y$1:$Y$99),2,False) to lookup Y values to left of Z values.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bsb1122

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back