PLEASE HELP!! - Conditional Format - Formula not working

NoeyPI

Hello,
Please see my coding below. I can't get the formula in pink text to work. I would like the macro to apply a conditional formatting of red text to Column G if any of 4 specific columns contain a value that is equal to or in between input Values Cutoff 1 and Cutoff2.

For example, there are 4 columns which contain values of contract amounts. I have two input boxes which request the lowest contract amount and the highest contract amount I would like to query for. The first part of this macros works great. Within the specific four columns, it applies a red text to any of the values that are equal to and in between my lowest and highest amounts.

I would like to take this one step further and also apply a red text to Column G if ANY of the 4 columns contain a value that falls between the lowest and highest amounts. I'm new to Macros and I based myformula in pink text on the following:

=ISNUMBER(IF(OR(AND(AB:AB>=50000,AB:AB<=90000), AND(AG:AG>=50000,AG:AG<=90000), AND(AL:AL>=50000,AL:AL<=90000), AND(AQ:AQ>=50000,AQ:AQ<=90000)),1,""))"

This returns a True if I were to enter this in a cell and include the numbers I wants to search between.

I tried to "convert" this so that it would work with VBA and it looks like I'm missing something. I included an attachment with this post but I don't see it here so this is a link to a Pic of My Chart if you need a visual reference. https://ibb.co/kJ5dAc
kJ5dAc

If anyone can help me, I would greatly appreciate it. I've been obsessing over this and have tried multiple ways of changing this with no success.

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!!!

Sub Values()
Application.ScreenUpdating = False

Dim Cutoff1 As String
Dim Cutoff2 As String
Dim myRange As Range
Dim myFormula As String

Cutoff1 = InputBox("Between This amount (enter lowest contract amount)")
Cutoff2 = InputBox("And This amount (enter highest contract amount)")

Set myRange = Range("AB:AB,AG:AG,AL:AL,AQ:AQ")

myRange.Cells.FormatConditions.Delete
Columns("G:G").Cells.FormatConditions.Delete

myRange.FormatConditions.Add Type:=xlCellValue, Operator:=xlBetween, _
Formula1:="=" & Cutoff1, Formula2:="=" & Cutoff2
myRange.FormatConditions(myRange.FormatConditions.Count).SetFirstPriority
With myRange.FormatConditions(1).Font
.Italic = False
.Bold = True
.Color = 255
.TintAndShade = 0
End With

myFormula = "=ISNUMBER(IF(OR(AND(AB:AB>=Cutoff1,AB:AB<=Cutoff2), AND(AG:AG>=Cutoff1,AG:AG<=Cutoff2), AND(AL:AL>=Cutoff1,AL:AL<=Cutoff2), AND(AQ:AQ>=Cutoff1,AQ:AQ<=Cutoff2)),1,""))"

Columns("G:G").FormatConditions.Add Type:=xlExpression, Formula1:=myFormula
Columns("G:G").FormatConditions(Columns("G:G").FormatConditions.Count).SetFirstPriority
With Columns("G:G").FormatConditions(1).Font
.Bold = True
.Color = 255
.TintAndShade = 0
End With
Columns("G:G").FormatConditions(1).StopIfTrue = False

ActiveSheet.Cells(ActiveCell.Row, 1).Select

Application.ScreenUpdating = True
End Sub

Excel Facts

Links? Where??
If Excel says you have links but you can't find them, go to Formulas, Name Manager. Look for old links to dead workbooks & delete.
I would like to take this one step further and also apply a red text to Column G if ANY of the 4 columns contain a value that falls between the lowest and highest amounts. I'm new to Macros and I based myformula in pink text on the following:

=ISNUMBER(IF(OR(AND(AB:AB>=50000,AB:AB<=90000), AND(AG:AG>=50000,AG:AG<=90000), AND(AL:AL>=50000,AL:AL<=90000), AND(AQ:AQ>=50000,AQ:AQ<=90000)),1,""))"
This are not valid checks:
AB:AB>=50000
You cannot check to see if any value in the column is greater than that number like that.

Instead of this:
Code:
[COLOR=#333333]AND(AB:AB>=50000,AB:AB<=90000)[/COLOR]
Replace with this:
Code:
COUNTIFS(AB:AB,">=50000",AB:AB,"=<90000")>0

You will need to do that for all four of your column checks.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi Joe4! I hope all is well. You helped me once before - hopefully you can help with this too
The coding you referred to works in a worksheet as is. What I need to fix is this formula which bases the range on my input values. Any suggestions?

myFormula = "=ISNUMBER(IF(OR(AND(AB:AB>=Cutoff1,AB:AB<=Cutoff2), AND(AG:AG>=Cutoff1,AG:AG<=Cutoff2), AND(AL:AL>=Cutoff1,AL:AL<=Cutoff2), AND(AQ:AQ>=Cutoff1,AQ:AQ<=Cutoff2)),1,""))"

Upvote 0
The coding you referred to works in a worksheet as is.
Hmmm... You may want to try lots of different scenarios and double-check that.

When building formulas using variables, you need to combine a bunch of literal strings with your variables. The variables need to be outside of the double-quotes, or else they will be treated as literal string.
So you are going to have a bunch of pieces that you can sew together using &, i.e.

Code:
[COLOR=#EE82EE]myFormula = "=ISNUMBER(IF(OR(AND(AB:AB>=" & Cutoff1 & ",AB:AB<=" & Cutoff2 & "), AND(AG:AG>=" & Cutoff1 & ",AG:AG<=" & Cutoff2 & "), AND(AL:AL>=" & Cutoff1 & ",AL:AL<=" & Cutoff2 & "), AND(AQ:AQ>=" & Cutoff1 & ",AQ:AQ<=" & Cutoff2 & ")),1,""))"[/COLOR]

So, the format is:
Code:
="literal text" & variable & "literal text" & variable ...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBFrieds

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back