Probelms with Corrupted Workboo

jgross

I'm having a problem with a workbook that keeps getting corrupted. Even if I rebuild the file by hand in a new workbook, the problem persists which makes me think it's something wrong with my methodology. I'm running Excel 2013 32bit on Windows 7 64bit.
I have a suite of workbooks for tracking aspects of a budget. There are a series of workbooks for each component of the budget. Each sheet in each workbook contains a data table. There workbooks for different series of projects within a fiscal year that use the INDIRECT() function to collect data from those tables and lays out a budget for each of the projects in the series, not using tables.
Last there's a workbook that provides an overview, referencing named ranges in the series workbooks and collecting that data into tables that provide an overview of the whole fiscal year. It's this last workbook that keeps getting corrupted. I'll save the workbook and then try to open it again and get the following error:
Excel found unreadable content in '2016Budget.Overview.xlsx'. Do you want to recover the contents of this workbook? If you trust the source of this workbook, click Yes.
When you click yes Excel displays information on what was repaired:
Repaired Records: External formula reference from /xl/externalLinks/externalLink5.xml part (Cached values from external formula reference)
No matter how many times you repair and resave the file the problem recurs. As I mentioned, even remaking the file by hand doesn't fix the problem. What am I doing wrong? I managed to get rid of the problem by converting the tables to ranges and referencing cells $A$1 format but now I want to expand the Overview workbook to show additional information. I can do it without tables, but named ranges would be far and away the best tool for the job. Even trying to reference named ranges without putting the links in tables is causing the error. Any help in further diagnosing the problem would be greatly appreciated.

Jim

Excel Facts

Workdays for a market open Mon, Wed, Friday?
Yes! Use "0101011" for the weekend argument in NETWORKDAYS.INTL or WORKDAY.INTL. The 7 digits start on Monday. 1 means it is a weekend.
is the files on your machine or over a managed network

Upvote 0
The file is stored on a network. It's an SMB share with a Windows server (Server 2012 I believe, but I'm not 100% sure). There's a launcher file at one level of the share, and then all of the component workbooks are collected into a single subdirectory. The user opens the launcher file and then VBA code cycles through each of the various workbooks and opens them in order to ensure that when a workbook opens, all the workbooks it references are already open. Obviously, this error causes that code to fail completely when it tries to open the Overview workbook (which is the last in the chain).

Jim

is the files on your machine or over a managed network

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Motoracer88

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back