Problem With VBA Formula To Determine Difference Between Two Times

Ark68

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
I am trying to populate a userform textbox with the difference between two times found in two other textboxes of the same userform.

Textboxes cu2_start = "7:00 AM" and cu2_end = "15:00". I am looking to populate cu2_hours with "8.00".

I have this line of code

Code:
.cu2_hours.Value = format(DateDiff("h", .cu2_end.Value, .cu2_start.Value) / 60, "0.00")

It's giving me an answer of -.13. Clearly there is something wrong with my formula.

Excel Facts

Wildcard in VLOOKUP
Use =VLOOKUP("Apple*" to find apple, Apple, or applesauce
See if the following works:

Code:
.cu2_hours.Value = format(DateDiff("h", .cu2_start.Value, .cu2_end.Value) / 24, "short time")

Upvote 0
Hi yky! Thank you ...
I am getting correct value now, but the format isn't right. It's giving me the value as a time (8:00) rather than a decimal number (8.00).
What kind of workaround can I use instead of the "short time"?

Upvote 0
Oh! Sorry! Did not realize you were looking for "8.00" instead of "8:00".

What is "8.00"? Is that eight hours? If it is eight hours and forty minutes, what do you expect to see?

Upvote 0
Sorry for the tardy reply ...

Looking for 8.00 = 8 hours, 8.25 = 8 hours, 15 minutes, etc

Upvote 0
Try this:

Code:
.cu2_hours.Value = format(DateDiff("n", .cu2_start.Value, .cu2_end.Value) / 60, "general number")

Upvote 0
Thank you yky! I substituted your suggestion... and for the most part getting the results I expect.
If you don't mind continuing your support, or anyone else for that matter is encouraged to chime in, I ran into a problematic situation with my code.

1) How does this code change with the end time (.cu2_end) is midnight (the start of the next day) and the start time (.cu2_start) is 4:00PM? The code as it is now returns a value of -16 in this example. The answer expected is 8.0 hrs. difference.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have answered the exact question some time ago, maybe more than one year ago. I can't remember what I said. The center of the question is midnight. Midnight can be either the beginning of a day or the end of a day. The former has a time value of 0, the later 1.

Try this:

Code:
.cu2_end.Value = IIF(.cu2_end.Value=0, 1,0)

.cu2_hours.Value = format(DateDiff("n", .cu2_start.Value, .cu2_end.Value) / 60, "general number")

Upvote 0
yky, once again thank. I really do appreciate you sticking it out to help me with this. It is very kind.

With your suggestion, I was having some odd results.

with .cu2_start = "16:00" (4:00pm) and .cu2_end = "0:00", with the simple addition of your suggested line of code I got these results displayed on my userform:

.cu2_end = "0" ... which makes sense I suppose since we changed the value of cu2_end with the IIF statement
.cu2_hours = "-16" (instead of 8.0)

I changed the code slightly ...
Rich (BB code):
        Dim jt as integer
        .cu2_start.Value = format(Application.WorksheetFunction.VLookup(CLng(.cu2_en.Caption), rg_staff, 5, False), "hh:mm")
        If IsError(.cu2_start.Value) Then
            MsgBox "no match"
            On Error GoTo 0
        Else
            .cu2_end.Value = format(Application.WorksheetFunction.VLookup(CLng(.cu2_en.Caption), rg_staff, 6, False), "h:mm")
            jt = IIf(.cu2_end.Value = 0, 1, 0)
            .cu2_hours.Value = format(DateDiff("n", .cu2_start.Value, jt) / 60, "general number")
        End If

This change returned the display of "0:00" to cu2.end in the userform, but .cu2_hours remained "-16"

In another similar example on the same userform ....
with .cu4_start = "7:00" (7:00am) and .cu4_end = "15:00", and with your code suggestion alone,

.cu4_end = "0" ... and .cu4.hours = "-7".

So, yeah ... something is amok!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thnirmitha

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back