Programming based on excel

e4xit

Guys,

Apologies if this has been up somewhere before, I did try the search but you never know which wordds someone else might use...

What I am wondering, is, as an Excel indermediate, what kind of other programming language would let me make tiny little stand alone applications to perform some of the functions I am using excel sheets to do??

For example, I have spreadsheets where you enter height, width, diameter, length etc, choose a material from a dropdown box (which is linked to a table of densities) and it will calculate the weight or #/kg. Simple things like that.

I think that instead of having masses of hidden cells, and general 'bumpf' that the users need not see (ie microsoft excel) I could have written a similar program (OK more exp needed) like a.exe or something, which would have a few input boxes and/or checkboxes and a simple output.

Basically, I know no programming at all (willing to learn) but do I want java, python (i run ubuntu and wind 7 @ home), /net C++....?

Any help appreciated, sorry for such a rant!

Will

Excel Facts

Copy PDF to Excel
Select data in PDF. Paste to Microsoft Word. Copy from Word and paste to Excel.
you can get a free copy of Visual Studio 2010 in either C#.net or Vb.net and build simple winforms to do what you'd like. There is a bit of a learning curve, but also a ton of resources online to help you get over the hump as well.

Upvote 0
Welcome to the Board!

If you want to create stand alone applications, then you'll want to learn something in the .NET family. Which language depends on your preference and the type of app you'll be building. You can download the Express version of Visual Studio 2011 for free here: http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudio/en-us

I think you can also download the full beta version for free right now as well.;

HTH,m

Upvote 0
Many languages actually provide a "gui" library for allowing user interaction through forms/windows etc. - pick your poison. Another popular medium these days is browser-based user interaction (using X/HTML and a web development language such as PHP or ASP.NET).

Upvote 0
Basically, I know no programming at all (willing to learn) but do I want java, python (i run ubuntu and wind 7 @ home), /net C++....?

Another Linux user! I run Kubuntu & Windows 7 at home, and sorely miss Kubuntu when at work. :)

I've got a few years of dabbling in programming languages (for work, school, fun), but no real solid knowledge of any one language. The one I selected was python. Being a math nerd it appealed to me, but it's also been out there for quite awhile so there's a really good base for you to build on (lots of libraries for doing all sorts of things) and a ton of tutorials and help online. I've found the "a byte of python" book to be helpful and build on the opensource ideal so it's free! I found it super easy to start programming in python, which wasn't the same experience I had with C#. It's not just useful for simple stuff though (the Ubuntu software center uses it. There's a list of software which uses it here. You should definitely figure out what language suits you and learn it! Programming is one of the most useful things I've learned for work, it allows me to do things other folks can't, or can't do as quickly because I know how to tell a computer to do repetitive tasks for me. Plus it's just plain fun to build your own stuff. And even if you don't pick the "perfect" programming language for you on the first go (which doesn't actually exist), just learn another one down the road. The second one is WAY easier to pick up because you already know how to program, you just have to pick up the specifics of the new language. I will also mention that I tend to live in excel/VBA at work since it's right there and there's a built in interaction between them. You would be able to build the program you described using forms and programming in VBA, as an fyi.

Sorry that ended up being pretty long and more of a ramble than a structured comment. Good luck in your programming journey, it's a worthwhile one!

~Mathchick

Upvote 0
Another Linux user! I run Kubuntu & Windows 7 at home, and sorely miss Kubuntu when at work.

Xubuntu running at my house. :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chase S

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back