protected cell

kamran89

I am making an excel sheet, I want to ensure that no one can change data once the data is entered. for that I used following code

Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
ActiveSheet.Unprotect ("newpass4")
Target.Locked = True
ActiveSheet.Protect ("newpass4")
End Sub

however I want that if someone (administrator/ owner) wants to change a data in cell, the password is requested and on correct password the data can be changed. and this is valid for the cell selected only. Thanks in advance

Excel Facts

What did Pito Salas invent?
Pito Salas, working for Lotus, popularized what would become to be pivot tables. It was released as Lotus Improv in 1989.
Data needs to be entered in a routine by different people. I don't want them to change
Made by other people

Upvote 0
Hi kamran89, welcome to the board.

You could check the users name and if the user has the required authority to change the workbook

Code:
If Environ("username") = "Admin" Then
    ...code to run
End If

Perhaps use the open event to set it in a state editable if the user holds the right permission, and lock again on close.

If you need any further information on how this could work please let me know.

Regards

Dave

Upvote 0
Hi kamran89

Couple of solutions. First and most obvious is to give the admin/owners the password, that might leak out though...that said if you are looking for security then Excel is not the best choice.

Next is to create a list of system logins for allowed users, use the Windows user name for this. Put the list in a sheet when the workbook opens test if the users name is listed, if it is unlock the sheets, if not then don't. Then on closing the workbook lock the sheets so the next person to open the file can be assessed if they have the authority to access the WB.

<font face=Calibri><SPAN style="color:#00007F">Private</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN> Workbook_BeforeClose(Cancel <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Boolean</SPAN>)<br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> sht <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> Worksheet<br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">For</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Each</SPAN> sht <SPAN style="color:#00007F">In</SPAN> Worksheets<br>    sht.Protect "newpass4"<br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">Next</SPAN> sht<br>ThisWorkbook.Save<br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN><br><br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">Private</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN> Workbook_Open()<br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> sht <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> Worksheet<br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> adm <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> Range<br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">Set</SPAN> adm = Sheet3.Range("A1:A20")<br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Not</SPAN> IsError(Application.Match(Environ("username"), adm, 0)) <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Then</SPAN><br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">For</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Each</SPAN> sht <SPAN style="color:#00007F">In</SPAN> Worksheets<br>        sht.Unprotect "newpass4"<br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Next</SPAN> sht<br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN><br><br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN></FONT>

You could apply similar methodology to a login system, though it may be a bit of a pest to force a login each time an admin/owner attempts to log in.

HTH, will be around if you want to expand on the solution.

Dave

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nattarinee

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back