Question about Sort function

ZiprHead

They just updated me at work to Office 2007. I'm having an issue with the sort function of excel 2007. This didn't happen in my old 2003 version.

I import a set of data with a header row. I add nother row above the header row to add more data (file date, etc.). I then freeze the panes at A3.

The first time I hit the sort button, all the cells below the header row (A2) are selected and I can sort the data normally. In my case I sort a column, add 0.00s to empty cells in that column to prepare to create a pivot table, then I want to sort the data by another column.

Here's where the problem starts. Again with the cursor at C3, the next time I hit the sort button, all the data cells get selected including the header row and the top row. I hit the "My data has headers" check box and it only removes the top row 1 selection but my header row is row 2, still selected. If I save the file and close it, then reopen. The sort function works fine *once*. The next sort request again chooses too many rows.

This used to work fine in the 2003 version but this one is driving me crazy. I know I can manually select the cells for sorting but I have to do this to numerous columns.

I've looked all over the net for a solution with out finding anyone else having this problem. I cannot go back to Excel 2003 because I have some sheets that are too large for 2003 to handle.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Excel Facts

Difference between two dates
Secret function! Use =DATEDIF(A2,B2,"Y")&" years"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"YM")&" months"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"MD")&" days"
are the headers the same? if so deleate one and just use what you have,

otherwise, insert 2 lines one for a header and one for a gap between the new header and the table, ensure the gap stays there though, it can be small but it must be there.

Upvote 0
That works better. Still not as smoothly as the 2003 but a lot less hassle than before. Thanks again for your assistance.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Motoracer88

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back