Question regarding pivot tables

Goose306

Board Regular
Hopefully straightforward question, can't find a straight answer after extended searching:
  • Can you apply a filter to a pivot table field without the field being in one of the four categories (Filters, Columns, Rows, or Values)?
    • If so, how?
    • If not, why not? Say I am building a pivot table and want to set a specific filter, but don't want to visually clutter the table with the filter being visible, as the end-user won't need to view or edit it. Thus, I'd like to set it but not have it visible. In Excel 2013, you can set filters on pivotfields directly in the fields list, but they don't seem to take effect unless the pivotfield is moved into one of the four categories, unless I'm missing something (hopefully).

My alternative to this is to build slicers and make them small and off-screen (not ideal, but forces update) so would prefer to find a cleaner, proper approach, rather than a hacky work-around.

Last edited:

Excel Facts

How can you turn a range sideways?
Copy the range. Select a blank cell. Right-click, Paste Special, then choose Transpose.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Motoracer88

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back