Quick array question

MrTeeny

Board Regular
Can anyone give e the syntax of how I'd create a variant array without setting the dimensions beforehand or using a range on a sheet

At the moment I basically
Code:
[B]Dim unclosed_liabilities_array As Variant[/B]
then set the array by finding the last row and selecting an empty space on the sheet
Code:
[B]unclosed_liabilities_array = sht_runners.Range("BB14:BA" & LrowRunners).Value[/B]

I'm guessing I need to use ReDim somewhere along the line but just need the syntax for setting the empty arrays dimensions which I assume are simply number of element and number of columns/

Thanks

Last edited:
I need an empty array but the dimensions aren't set , the number of elements will be set using the value in LrowRunners, I was looking for the syntax to set an array with LrowRunners elements in it I had tried
Code:
Dim unclosed_liabilities_array(1 To LrowRunners) As Variant
but it gives constant errors
As long as LrowRunners has been given a value beforehand, just ReDim it...
Code:
[table="width: 500"]
[tr]
	[td]ReDim unclosed_liabilities_array(1 To LrowRunners) As Variant[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]
While it is not necessary, the convention is to declare unclosed_liabilities_array as a Variant (with no parentheses) at the beginning of the procedure and then later on ReDim it to size without declaring its data type. For a two-dimensional array (like you asked for originally)...
Code:
[table="width: 500"]
[tr]
	[td]Dim LrowRunners As Long, LcolRunners As Long, unclosed_liabilities_array As Variant
LrowRunners = 10
LrowRunners = 20
ReDim unclosed_liabilities_array(LrowRunners, LcolRunners)[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Excel Facts

How to calculate loan payments in Excel?
Use the PMT function: =PMT(5%/12,60,-25000) is for a $25,000 loan, 5% annual interest, 60 month loan.
That's because you can't assign a variable like LrowRunners as a dimension, you must use whole positive numbers.*
(* with respect to @rickrothstein's post I didn't consider using ReDim afterwards to enable use of LrowRunners as dimension)

Which then isn't clear, why have a variable to determine a dimension, to pre dimension an array vs
Code:
arr = .Cells(1,1)Resize(LrowRunners,10).Value

Does your query become, why can't you do:
Code:
Dim unclosed_liabilities_array(1 to LrowRunners, 1 to 10) as variant
Instead of:
Code:
Dim unclosed_liabilities_array() as variant
unclosed_Liabilities = Range("A1:C" & LrowRunners).Value
That's only an extra line of code for something that doesn't need to be pre-dimmed with a variable, which as you've discovered cant be set as it's not a constant.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm totally confused.:eek:

You want an empty array with the dimensions not set but you want to set the no of elements (one of the dimensions) of the array.

Upvote 0
Don't think you're alone Norie!
There may be confusion with what you're trying to do and use of dimensionalised arrays

@MrTeeny perhaps you can explain what you are trying to achieve or give a bigger picture explanation? It seems like this is something more complicated than needs to be, based on your initial post and the various responses so far...

Upvote 0
I come from a very basic php background where you don't need to continually set dimensions of arrays so that's why learning arrays with VBA confuses me I guess.

It's basically a betting program whereby I want to find my overall liabilities per runner where the individual bets are listed on a separate sheet so they get looped thru and matched against a separate array of runners. I want to set the number of elements in the array against the number of runners so I can use the unmatched array elsewhere within my sheet and know unclosed_liabilities_array(1,1) refers to runner 1 etc.

I've managed to sort it using ReDim from the bottom part of Ricks post and tweaking the row after a bit of debugging to check the upper and lower boundaries of both arrays. But it'd be good if someone could give me a quick explanation of the boundary dimensions as I'm still not sure why it works and another doesn't.

It's working fine with (I hadn't taken into account I was going from BB14 and starting at 1 in some testing so the runner data wasn't matching)

Code:
[/COLOR]ReDim unclosed_liabilities_array(1 To LrowRunners - 13, 1 To LrowRunners - 13) As Variant[COLOR=#333333]

I'm not sure why the above works and the following doesn't though

Code:
[/COLOR]ReDim unclosed_liabilities_array(1 To LrowRunners - 13) As Variant[COLOR=#333333]

I'm unclear what the numbers declaring the array are actually setting as with a single one column array I could simply refer to data within the array like
unclosed_liabilities_array(2,1) whereas when I'mm ReDim'ing the array it only seems to work if I'm declaring two values as 1 To LrowRunners - 13

Upvote 0
What type of arrays are you used to using in PHP?

Upvote 0
Looks like everybody is totally confused. Here are my 5¢:

If you do this
Code:
Dim unclosed_liabilities_array As Variant
unclosed_liabilities_array = sht_runners.Range("BB14:BA" & LrowRunners).Value

you will get your unclosed_liabilities_array dimensioned as (1 To LrowRunners - 13, 1 To 2). Do you still need to ReDim it?

Upvote 0
Reading data to an array from the sheet requires a 2D array, hence you tend to identify the row and column number of your top-left cell together with the bottom-right cell for the data table then read that straight into the array without setting the dimension size.

ReDim unclosed_Liabilities_array(1 to LrowRunners - 13) as variant doesn't read a single column from the sheet as there is no column dimension provided, a cell must have a row index AND a column index to exist on a spreadsheet. You can try:
Code:
ReDim unclosed_Liabilities_array(1 to LrowRunners - 13, 1 to 1)
for a single column.

Also, with:
Code:
Sub Macro1()

Dim LR   As Long
    Dim LC   As Long
    Dim arr()   As Variant

With Sheets("Sheet1")
        'LastRow in column B
        LR = .Cells(.Rows.count, 2).End(xlUp).row
        'Assume header is in row 14
        LC = .Cells(14, .Columns.count).End(xlUp).row

arr = .Range("B14").Resize(LR - 13, LC - 1).Value
    End With

End Sub

If LR (last used row in specified column) = 24 and because first row is row 14, we need to adjust LR for the resize component, i.e. end_row - start_row + 1. If LR = 24, then B14.Resize(24-14+1) is same as B14:B24
Similarly if LC (last used column in specified row) = 10 and first column is 2, we need to adjust LC for the resize component, i.e. end_column - start_column + 1. i.e. B14.resize(11, 10-2+1) is same as range B14:J24

(column A = 1, B = 2 etc)

Then it leaves arr = Range("B14").Resize(LR-14+1, LC-2+1).Value which is arr = Range("B14:J24").Value

Reading data from a sheet doesn't need the array to be pre-dimmed

Upvote 0
Three dimensional arrays and json to stdclass arrays etc, I'm so used to being able to dump the array to screen (print_r())so I can see the structure and contents when debugging which doesn't seem available with VBA.

Been reading up on the VBA arrays and a bit clearer now as I've tweaked my code so ReDim unclosed_liabilities_array(1 To LrowRunners - 13) As Variant works. The other parts of my code were referring to the elements like so

Code:
[/COLOR]unclosed_liabilities_array(i, 1)[COLOR=#574123]

which worked fine when the array was set by selecting a range.

Code:
[/COLOR]unclosed_liabilities_array = sht_runners.Range("BB14:BB" & LrowRunners).Value[COLOR=#574123]

Works fine now simply using
Code:
[/COLOR]unclosed_liabilities_array(i)[COLOR=#574123]

I am still confused about the data structure though as to why

Code:
[/COLOR][COLOR=#574123]ReDim unclosed_liabilities_array(1 To LrowRunners - 13,[/COLOR][COLOR=#574123]1 To LrowRunners - 13[/COLOR][COLOR=#574123]) As Variant [/COLOR][COLOR=#574123]

works with

Code:
[/COLOR]unclosed_liabilities_array(i, 1)[COLOR=#574123]

but

Code:
[/COLOR][COLOR=#574123]ReDim unclosed_liabilities_array(1 To LrowRunners - 13,[/COLOR][COLOR=#574123]1[/COLOR][COLOR=#574123]) As Variant [/COLOR][COLOR=#574123]

does not

Upvote 0
I was slow typing looks like I wasn't using the correct syntax and should have been using 1 to 1 to set the 'column' boundary.

Thanks for all your help guys, it's made the structure of the arrays much clearer to me now and will be a great help with the other programming bits I wanted to do as I can now visualise how the data is laid out and how to add/amend arrays

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
surendra75

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back