Quick question on power queries - how to fill in first cell, query auto runs, populates 20 columns after?

jdlev

Hi Guys,

So just like the title says...running a query on facebook's open graph, and have a query that works fine, but need it to do a little bit more:

Here's the steps I'm lookin for:
1) I put in "BobsBurgers" in cell A1
2) Query recognizes "BobsBurgers" is the page on facebook to go to, and heads off to gather all the data.
3) If successful, query populates columns A2:A20 w/ the various parameters from facebook's open graph. If not, msgbox w/ error appears.
4) I can then head down to cell A2, input "JimmysHotDogShack", and have the process repeat itself.

As I mention, I already have a working query, but here are the area's giving me trouble:
1) I don't know how to have the query pull in the String from cell A1...I have to hardwire the query each time to get it to run.
2) Once the query is able to be populated w/ the data in the first cell, the data return could be inconsistent. In other words, Bobs might return all 20 columns of data, while lazy Jimmy only bothered to fill in 10 columns worth of data. I don't mind if the values input in the table are null, but while running the static power query, I noticed in the results it only shows the columns which aren't null. Not sure if that could pose a problem, or how to make the query return a null response if a parameter it is looking for is blank.

Thanks again for any help guys!

Excel Facts

Who is Mr Spreadsheet?
Author John Walkenbach was Mr Spreadsheet until his retirement in June 2019.
Not certain if my question is too simplistic and unworthy of a response or too complex and it’s stumped the members lol.

Upvote 0
*sigh* No one knows how to add a simple cell as a dynamic variable to a power query? :( :(

(sorry to keep bumping it, but I really have searched all over the web to try to find the answer to this question and come up with zilch...it would make a world of difference if I could add this feature to my spreadsheets...so I'm beggin'!! :( )

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Subhash Chand

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back