Rand vlookup based on drop-down indirect from other sheet

Excelsiur

Howdy,

Yeah the title's a doozy but let me explain:

I'm trying to develop an auto-sked excel file for my place of work where a weekly schedule is gen'd up that accounts for what training events, lesson topics, briefs, etc. get performed every day. The training is conducted by instructors who achieve the proper qualifications to teach, instruct, proctor, or oversee that particular event.

It's extremely time consuming on our skeds (schedules) department to do all this for all of the instructors and events. I had an idea that would make the process far more streamlined, the "auto-sked" (I haven't thought of a clever name for it yet).

The idea is, for example, a drop down menu on the top of the Monday Column allows the sked writer to select the event/topic/etc. The cell next to it would then ultimately auto-populate a name from a database, on a separate sheet, of instructors that are cross checked with their qualifications.

I've managed to figure out how to play with INDIRECT but I'm trying to avoid excessive drop-down lists and instead get this project to an "auto" kind of method.

This would also eventually have to check for double names for instructors that are multi-qualified or if instructors have appointments listed (appointments, leave, etc. would also be an input at a section at the bottom of the sked template) so that it doesn't place an instructor teaching a course while they have a medical appointment or something of the like.

I know what I want to get this thing to do, I just don't know how to get this thing to find the instructors associated with a specific qualification that is based off of the initial drop down menu item, select a random instructor from that qualified list, and make sure not to "double-book" anybody.

Like I mentioned I know this isn't a simple question but any help, to even a piece of this jig-saw puzzle would be greatly appreciated.

Very respectfully,

Cody Chase

Excel Facts

Excel Joke
Why can't spreadsheets drive cars? They crash too often!
Hey There,
I think you better have to illustrate what your table should look like, using a picture or an excel file or something.

Upvote 0
XLRATOR:

I'm getting links to pictures of my excel file ready to go, just having issues with my work computer not allowing access to photobucket so I'm doing a little moving around with the picture files from my work computer (where the excel file is located) -> personal email -> personal computer -> this thread. Just letting you know that I'm actively working on providing more information on my issues to this thread and not sitting on my rear or not checking in.

Very respectfully,

Cody Chase

Upvote 0
Take it easy, think of dropping a dumb file on Dropbox.com or whatever if nothing seems to work.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Hello Excelsiur,
If there isn't any inconvenience, can you post the file?
Make sure not to post confidential or sensitive content.

Regards.

Upvote 0
Let me know if this doesn't work or it is still unclear what I'm trying to do. to sum it up I want the sked template to function where an event is selected and a staff name is auto-generated based on which event is selected (makes sure only staff members qualified in the event that was selected are placed to teach that event) and that there are no duplicates. For simplicity's sake I included all of the ideas on one sheet but they would ultimately be placed on seperate sheets so that the "Sked Template" is all the schedule writer would need to deal with and not worry about all of the behind the scenes magic.

I've also tried assigning a list of "staff" to =RAND() values and having the output cell from all of that be the reference on the sked template, but the problem with that was whenever I would have to change one name only, ALL names would change.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/14wly3vxp1d4uva/Dummy Sked Program.xlsx?dl=0

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Edwin_SVRZ

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back