Ranking by comparing columns

Erick Celaya

Hi Everyone,

pretty amateur excel user, hope somebody can help me out. I am trying to input some kind of formula that can solve the following

Problem:

there are 3 columns A: Rank1 B: Rank2 C: COUNT. The idea is to compare the value in Rank 1 cell with the values in the rest of Vector Rank1. If the value in the comparison is equal than I need to somehow compare the subsequent values in the same rows but now in rank 2. Such condition happens when comparing A1(=1) with A5(=1) in this case I need to compare values B1(=1) with B5(=4). If B1 is greater than B5 than COUNT will increase by 1. Such is the case for C5 in which the conditional B5 is greater than B1 hence the count increases. Numbers in the rank columns can be the same hence the comparison might need to happen several times. There might be 3 "1´s" in Rank 1 hence the will be a count of 2 or more. Such situation occurs in the comparison B4 with B1 and B5 where in both cases B4 is greater hence count ++ happens twice.

RANK1RANK2COUNT

<tbody>
</tbody>

Im having a hard time keeping track of the cell thats being compared. Tried using lookup functions but seem limited to working in ascending order. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Excel Facts

What do {} around a formula in the formula bar mean?
{Formula} means the formula was entered using Ctrl+Shift+Enter signifying an old-style array formula.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Healthydogs

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back