RE: Can an Exel Guru answer this question?

chriss1563

RE: Can an Exel Guru answer this question?

I have a serious dilemma. I have a client who asked if I can offer a solution to this problem. This client works with excel with others on a server level with the others being at a different location. The situation is this:

She (client 1) created a huge 3 meg excel file full of very complicated formulas and links to other tabs on the file. She would save them to a shared file folder on a server (unknown what kind) on her office network. Her coworker (client 2) at a different location about 40 milles away vpns into this shared folder and uploads this file to her office computer to work with it. She can open it without a problem. But when she saves the file or uses "save as" then tires to reopens the file and saves it on the shared folder, both client 1 and client 2 get this message and the file appears all corrupted:

Microsoft Office Excel File Repair Log

Errors were detected in file 'L:\CASH\Cash Forecast\September 2008 Cash Forecast Model\CashForecast 091608.xls'
The following is a list of repairs:

Damage to the file was so extensive that repairs were not possible. Excel attempted to recover your formulas and values, but some data may have been lost or corrupted.

Now Client 1 has been able to create, open, make changes, use the save, and use save as without a problem. From what I understand client 2's IT department has performed a re installation of MS office on her computer and has run out of options. Both Client 1 and Client 2 are desperate and looking for help trying to figure out what they can do next. If you have any suggestions, that would be great. I am not an excel person so I could not offer any solutions. Thanks ahead of time!

Excel Facts

Last used cell?
Press Ctrl+End to move to what Excel thinks is the last used cell.
Re: Can an Exel Guru answer this question?

Given the limited information, here are my suggestions.

1. If the file does not have any external links to files or databases, I would recommend simply emailing the file back and forth. This eliminates the need for the VPN and save issue.

2. If there are external links, I would recommend creating a workbook before save macro that evaluates the user and/or environment and determines the save path based on that.

Given that user 2 uploads the file to her own PC, I would presume there are no external links.

Upvote 0
Re: Can an Exel Guru answer this question?

Make sure the most recent service packs are installed.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BBV123

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back