Reference in formula to cell that contains a name

CDienst

I'm trying to reference a cell in a formula, but the formula doesn't seem to recognize that the cell contains a defined name. I'm running 2010 on windows 7.
An example of what I'm trying to do is that I have two names: SEVEN, which =7 and FIVE which =5. The formula =PRODUCT(SEVEN,FIVE) results in the cell displaying a value of 35, as expected. What I want to do is have cell A1 contain SEVEN and cell B1 contain FIVE, and use a formula like =PRODUCT(A1,B1) to get 35, but the result is 0.
I've also tried =PRODUCT(indirect(A1),indirect(B1)), but I get a #REF !
Is what I want possible? I'm pretty sure I remember basically doing exactly this previously, but it doesn't seem to work now. I think either I'm forgetting some small part of what's needed to make this work or 2010 doesn't support this.

Thanks

Excel Facts

Best way to learn Power Query?
Read M is for (Data) Monkey book by Ken Puls and Miguel Escobar. It is the complete guide to Power Query.
Welcome to the forum!

I can not reproduce your problem. You must not have the reference that you think.

Upvote 0
INDIRECT only works with named ranges, not named constants. You'd have to use VBA or the old EVALUATE XLM function in another name.

Upvote 0
I got =PRODUCT(indirect(A1),indirect(B1)) to output 35 by making SEVEN refer to a cell containing 7 rather than just setting SEVEN to =7. Is there a function similar to indirect that would let me refer to cells containing a name that just has a value rather then the name having to refer to a cell?

Upvote 0
Hmm. I'm trying use this in a report and I'm not familiar with the evaluate XML function. A quick google suggests that the evaluate might not be supported in the future and I can't guarantee that the user (or myself) will be able to navigate anything involving VBA. I guess I'll just have to settle for not using a name. Thanks

Upvote 0
An UDF (User Defined Function) would be acceptable?

Something like this

Alt+F11 to open the VBEditor
Menu
Insert > Module
Paste the code below in the right panel
Code:
Function ProdXY(x As String, y As String)
    ProdXY = Mid(ThisWorkbook.Names(x).Value, 2) * Mid(ThisWorkbook.Names(y).Value, 2)
End Function

Back to Excel
A1=SEVEN
B1=FIVE

Try in an empty cell
=ProdXY(A1,B1)

M.

Upvote 0
Test what is going on in steps. e.g. =Indirect(A1) and another =Indirect(B1) and others maybe =A1 or =B1. I think you will find the problem soon enough...

Upvote 0
Well, the exact function I'm attempting to use is from an Add-in (that the user will also have) that adds a few functions to excel that pulls data from Compeat (a program similar [I've been told] to Quickbooks specialized for restaurants). the function in this case is for a profit/loss account: =PL(Entity #, GL Account#, Period Start Date, Period End Date). The functions allows a list of GL#s to be put in, either a range separated by '..' (e.g. "4000..5000") or a list of specific accounts separated commas. I want specific names to represent the groups of GL#s that different columns of formulas will look for and have that name at the top of a given column to be referenced by the formulas. My ability in VBA is fairly limited, but as far as my understanding goes, maybe I could use a VBA function, as Marcelo suggested (thanks). I'll try modifying the code there and see if I can get it to work.

Upvote 0
Looks like more going on than we know about.

If you are using a function from an AddIn, you will probably want to use ActiveWorkbook. It just depends on what all you are doing.

I did not add any error checks. e.g.
Code:
Function ProdXY2(x As String, y As String)
    ProdXY2 = Range(x) * Range(y)
End Function

Last edited:
Upvote 0
An UDF (User Defined Function) would be acceptable?
Alt+F11 to open the VBEditor
Menu
Insert > Module
Paste the code below in the right panel
Code:
Function ProdXY(x As String, y As String)
    ProdXY = Mid(ThisWorkbook.Names(x).Value, 2) * Mid(ThisWorkbook.Names(y).Value, 2)
End Function

I've never used a UDF before, but the =ProdXY(A1,B1) returns #NAME ?
I'm going to to try putting that function into the project for this specific workbook rather than the personal one where I keep the rest of the macros, but saving takes a long time between this computer being old and the Compeat functions having to pull from a server (which is even older)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sebas8956

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back