Remove duplicate from list

hafe4k

Hi there,

I have 2 columns A and B column A has about 50 rows and column B has about 50 rows too. Some of the data appears in both column A and B, my aim is to get the data that are not duplicates and move them to column C, the data in the 2 fields does not directly match up from left to right and things in column a may be unique but things in column b may be unique too.

Column A | Column B | Column C
----------------------------------------------------
Alpha |Alpha | India
Bravo |Bravo | Romeo
Golf |Golf | Zulu
Romeo |India
Zulu

So how can I get only the unique fields from column A and Column B to appear in Column C?

Thanks guys

Excel Facts

Which came first: VisiCalc or Lotus 1-2-3?
Dan Bricklin and Bob Frankston debuted VisiCalc in 1979 as a Visible Calculator. Lotus 1-2-3 debuted in the early 1980's, from Mitch Kapor.
If there's no relationship between columns A & B they could both be copied into column C, highlight and remove duplicates.
The example doesn't give much to go on.

Upvote 0
if you're able to use PowerQuery you can try this

excel file: stay with non-duplicated values

in short:
define name for this range (here: tbl_src)
use it as source in PQEditor
duplicate table
merge first table itself but with different columns by only matching rows
duplicated table : use Table.ToColumns(), filter by null
merge tables by Right Anti
Load to the sheet

Alpha Alpha Column1
Bravo Bravo Romeo
Golf Golf Zulu
Romeo IndiaIndia
Zulu

Upvote 0
Many thanks for the responses.

Sandy that is exactly what I want to do but unfortunately I don’t know PowerQuery. Is there a script I can run in VBA to do this?

Upvote 0
If you've PowerQuery installed (excel 2010/2013) or built-in (2016 and higher) you can see all steps in PQ Editor on the right side (step by step) in the linked file.
If you really don't know how to do it I can prepare a little movie for you when I've a moment.

Upvote 0
Thanks Sandy - i'm running Office 2013 hence this will require me to install something. Group policies in place at work won't allow this and as I need to compare data on an ongoing basis so no option to take home unfortunately.
I came across this post:
https://www.mrexcel.com/forum/excel-questions/577145-compare-2-columns-remove-duplicates.html - Post 3

which seems to do what I want but the script only looks at Column A not Column B so in our example it would move over Romeo and Zulu but not India.
Is there an amendment to the VB script that would alleviate this?

Upvote 0
Thanks Sandy - i'm running Office 2013 hence this will require me to install something. Group policies in place at work won't allow this and as I need to compare data on an ongoing basis so no option to take home unfortunately.
I came across this post:
https://www.mrexcel.com/forum/excel-questions/577145-compare-2-columns-remove-duplicates.html - Post 3

which seems to do what I want but the script only looks at Column A not Column B so in our example it would move over Romeo and Zulu but not India.
Is there an amendment to the VB script that would alleviate this?
Hi, hafe4k
Try this:

Code:
[FONT=lucida console][COLOR=Royalblue]Sub[/COLOR] a1082893a()
[I][COLOR=seagreen]'https://www.mrexcel.com/forum/excel-questions/1082893-remove-duplicate-list.html[/COLOR][/I]
[COLOR=Royalblue]Dim[/COLOR] rr [COLOR=Royalblue]As[/COLOR] [COLOR=Royalblue]Long[/COLOR]
[COLOR=Royalblue]Dim[/COLOR] x [COLOR=Royalblue]As[/COLOR] [COLOR=Royalblue]Variant[/COLOR]
[COLOR=Royalblue]Dim[/COLOR] d [COLOR=Royalblue]As[/COLOR] [COLOR=Royalblue]Object[/COLOR]

rr = Range([COLOR=brown]"A:B"[/COLOR]).Find([COLOR=brown]"*"[/COLOR], SearchOrder:=xlByRows, SearchDirection:=xlPrevious).Row
    va = Range([COLOR=brown]"A1:B"[/COLOR] & rr)
        [COLOR=Royalblue]Set[/COLOR] d = CreateObject([COLOR=brown]"scripting.dictionary"[/COLOR])
            d.CompareMode = vbTextCompare

[COLOR=Royalblue]For[/COLOR] [COLOR=Royalblue]Each[/COLOR] x [COLOR=Royalblue]In[/COLOR] va
        x = Trim(x)
        [COLOR=Royalblue]If[/COLOR] [COLOR=Royalblue]Not[/COLOR] d.Exists(x) [COLOR=Royalblue]Then[/COLOR]
            d(x) = [COLOR=crimson]1[/COLOR]
            [COLOR=Royalblue]Else[/COLOR]
            d(x) = [COLOR=crimson]2[/COLOR]
        [COLOR=Royalblue]End[/COLOR] [COLOR=Royalblue]If[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=Royalblue]Next[/COLOR]

[COLOR=Royalblue]If[/COLOR] d.Exists([COLOR=brown]""[/COLOR]) [COLOR=Royalblue]Then[/COLOR] d.Remove [COLOR=brown]""[/COLOR]

[COLOR=Royalblue]For[/COLOR] [COLOR=Royalblue]Each[/COLOR] x [COLOR=Royalblue]In[/COLOR] d
        [COLOR=Royalblue]If[/COLOR] d(x) = [COLOR=crimson]2[/COLOR] [COLOR=Royalblue]Then[/COLOR] d.Remove x
    [COLOR=Royalblue]Next[/COLOR]

Range([COLOR=brown]"C1"[/COLOR]).Resize(d.count, [COLOR=crimson]1[/COLOR]) = Application.Transpose(Array(d.Keys))
[COLOR=Royalblue]End[/COLOR] [COLOR=Royalblue]Sub[/COLOR][/FONT]

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Your welcome & thanks for the reply

Upvote 0
Sorry Akuini, don't think I can receive your reply in PM.. did you receive the message i sent?

Thanks

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dsharae57

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back