Replace text selected from drop down list with a number (same cell)

Excelbuddy_7

Hopefully someone can help me on this one. Have tried looking online for a solution, but to no avail. Haven't done any macros in excel before.

I have a dropdown list. Example:

1 - Very Good
2 - Good
3 - Neutral
4 - Poor
5 - Very Poor

Once someone chooses an option from the drop down list, I want the cell to only show the numbers, rather than the whole phrase. It should also work if someone goes back and changes their mind and chooses a different option from the dropdown list.

For example; Say this dropdown list is in cell D3. From this drop down list, "2 - Good" is chosen. Now I want cell D3 to only show "2", rather than "2 - Good". This is so, I can use those numbers to find an average later on. Also I my list has long phrases, and I have space constraints on my excel sheet, and it will need to be printed later on

Any help will be deeply appreciated? Let me know if you need more information.

Thanks

Actually, just realised that even this code doesn't do the job until I actually press delete or type something (change something in the worksheet). I guess this is because this is a worksheet_change event. What event can I call it, if I just want it to activate the macro when I select the cell?

I am answering my own questions. I think I have to use a Worksheet_Selection event. Right?

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Create a chart in one keystroke
Select the data and press Alt+F1 to insert a default chart. You can change the default chart to any chart type

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chislobog

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back